INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Green screen (sometimes) when using RO HQ/madvr  (Read 4941 times)

Trumpetguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Green screen (sometimes) when using RO HQ/madvr
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:52:36 pm »

On my main htpc, RO HQ works for all content.

Now I have this (crappy win 8.1) new laptop, i5 something and Intel HD4000 video chip. All video is played without video conversion via local media network. Some videos play just fine, but others give a not so nice green screen. Audio is fine, and sometimes subs as well. Switching to RO STD makes all contents play fine. It is only this issue with RO HQ and some movies.

Since I'm new to win 8.1, and do not know my way around blindfolded, and cannot tell if this is a driver problem and if it can be solved down that path.

Help?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
Re: Green screen (sometimes) when using RO HQ/madvr
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:09:19 pm »

On my main htpc, RO HQ works for all content.

Now I have this (crappy win 8.1) new laptop, i5 something and Intel HD4000 video chip. All video is played without video conversion via local media network. Some videos play just fine, but others give a not so nice green screen. Audio is fine, and sometimes subs as well. Switching to RO STD makes all contents play fine. It is only this issue with RO HQ and some movies.

Since I'm new to win 8.1, and do not know my way around blindfolded, and cannot tell if this is a driver problem and if it can be solved down that path.

Help?

I highly doubt that the HD 4000 can reliably handle madVR. You can always try updating the drivers from Intel but the 8.1 drivers should be fairly new. The cutoff I tell people is a GDDR5 GT 240, which scores 653 in Passmark compared to the HD4000's 465.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 02:30:59 pm »

I highly doubt that the HD 4000 can reliably handle madVR. You can always try updating the drivers from Intel but the 8.1 drivers should be fairly new. The cutoff I tell people is a GDDR5 GT 240, which scores 653 in Passmark compared to the HD4000's 465.

I feared as much. Still it is strange that some movies playback just fine. I can do some research on less demanding scaling methods, or live with RO standard.

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 02:49:54 pm »

With 720p content it shouldn't be a problem. With 1080p content I guess the HD4000 isnt enough.
Even with my i7 laptop with win7 x64, I get green artifacts.
But be sure to disable anything that runs in the background like antivirus and stuff.

tyler69

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 01:22:16 pm »

I also had the screen turning green when using madVR (on a Intel HD3000). The problem only occured on videos with resolutions <720p. I fixed it by turning off hardware acceleration in the video options.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:34:12 pm »

Things to try:

1. Make sure your graphics drivers are updated (from Intel, not from Windows Update).  Intel is well known for having weird driver bugs in their GPU drivers, but sometimes they fix them, and they have been getting better lately.  If you're using an old one though (such as the one "qualified" by the laptop vendor), all bets are off.

2. Turn Hardware Acceleration off (or on, if it is already off) in MC's Options.  This will disable decoding on the GPU, and force it to use software-only rendering, which takes more CPU power, but might work around GPU issues.  Of course, this will reduce battery life and might make ROHQ unusable depending on the model of Core i5 in that machine.

3. Switch to ROST when needed.  A mobile Core i5 with a HD4000 just might not have enough oomph to handle ROHQ with some content types, unfortunately.  If you want, you might be able to set up a Zone Switching scheme where it auto-selects ROST or ROHQ depending on the characteristics of the video.  You'd just need two Zones (one set to ROST and one set to ROHQ, otherwise identical) and then set up Zone Switching rules to auto-select the appropriate one at the appropriate time.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 02:34:37 am »

Glynor, thanks for good advices. I will try them all once the laptop returns again (!) from tech service. Web shops are great, only not when you need to use warranty services. It takes TIME.
Pages: [1]   Go Up