INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC19/J Remote & Volume Leveling  (Read 1885 times)

fmd

• Recent member
MC19/J Remote & Volume Leveling
« on: January 01, 2014, 06:30:58 am »

Looking for some help. 

I use MC19 as my media server on my PC which I use to send FLAC's to my network player (Oppo BDP-105).  Inside of MC19 I have activated Volume Leveling and all tracks have been analyzed with RU128.
I have this set to use Volume Leveling (see Att 1).  However this is set for the Player.  If I select the Oppo it says to configure Options using Media Network (see Att 2).  I do not see any way to activate Volume Leveling in this scenario under the Media Network Options.
I also use JRemote to access the library.  I have Transcoding off so I am passing the pure FLAC's to the Oppo.  When playing music Volume Leveling does not appear to be working and I see no way to set via JRemote as well

What am I missing?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you and Happy New Year!

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC19/J Remote & Volume Leveling
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 08:29:03 am »

Tools → Options → Media Network → Add or configure DLNA servers… → Audio → Advanced

fmd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 08:35:07 am »

Awesome.  Thanks

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 09:16:57 am »

And I see 623 already set you on the right path with one simple screen shot, the time it took to right all this stuff  ;D Jim is right I am too verbose  ;D

Anyways might as well post the mess any ways ... after last night's recovery this might not make total sense but I'll have a shot at it  8)

The screen you are showing is under the audio configuration - the message indicates that you have to set up a DLNA connection for the device (the Oppo).  Now I don't know how you set up your system, but it appears like you are using it as a network player/renderer without doing this first - you must add the Oppo as device therefore in Media Network under options. The zone setup using JRiver as player/renderer is correct, however.

Are you going from your HTPC to the Oppo via a LAN cable? or HDMI, USB etc??

Now the bad news for you, most DLNA devices can't/won't use the jriver DSP's, including volume leveling. Bitstreaming to "DLNA" devices (like a sonos) doesn't work either. Why? because they are being used as the renderer, not JRiver.

Now the good news - the Oppo 105 has some impressive connectability options for audiophiles, including a pretty nice DAC with three types of inputs (not including the HDMI). I don't have one personally, but in reading on their site, if I did, I would set up my audio using JRiver as the renderer outputting directly to the DAC section of the Oppo. Do some blind tests but as it does have an asynchronous USB input I'd try that first then test the coax and optical options too. You could directly output to your amp (unless you have a very good analog preamp), as it looks like you can use the Oppo 105 as a digital preamp -- not 100% sure. If you missed this on their site they have options for audiophile 2/2.1 => http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=15&ProdID=BDP-105. You could also go through HDMI In for multi channel if needed. They have a very good output choice including xlr to go to your main listening area.

You might have other reasons to use an external renderer. But the big benefit for me would be to allow the Oppo to do all of the work in the Video processing area (as renderer) which means the HTPC won't need discrete graphic cards or next years i7 chip to play at high standards like Madvr incorporated in JRiver already - permitting a very quiet or totally silent PC. Basically JRiver can do everything that the Oppo can do except 3D rendering and 4k upsampling (for the moment), IF the hardware on the PC can handle it.

So what I would do is set up at least 3 zones. One using JRiver as media server, renderer and controller (along with JRemote) -- with No DSPs totally bit-perfect (use Player for example); 2 using JRiver as in #1 with a new zone incorporating the Volume leveling options you chose (the device would probably be your on board audio out set to wasapi or asio); 3) Using JRiver/JRemote as the controller, but choosing the Oppo DLNA device (that you haven't set up yet probably) for Video only; again DSP studio effects won't be used. If you are using the Oppo as a network player to other clients, you would then want to set zones on each and choose just the client options in "Media Network". Again setting zones to use JRiver as renderer for audio and the Oppo for Video.

When at least the media server htpc is configured, all these zones will appear in the bottom left corner of JRemote. Choose and load your choice before playing your media and you are set to go.

Let me know if this works for you (wall of text got rid of my hangover  ;D)
(note: I wouldn't recommend asio4all unless absolutely needed. A recent version of JRiver, like 100, has option to use their own ASIO engine. Basically though, ASIO is hardware driven so if Oppo has its own ASIO use theirs for Video and use WASAPI configured in the audio zones)

fmd

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 04:33:19 pm »

Thanks for the follow up Ariendelle.  I was setup correctly so I had kinda figured out the volume leveling wasn't working based on what I was hearing  :( 

I was just using the Generic DNLA to connect to the Oppo but I see the value in setting up separate servers/configurations.  I currently connect the Oppo to my PC/network via Ethernet.

I was trying not to tie a PC to my audio system/Network player but I may have to experiment with the USB async port.

I am using a Conrad-Johnson tube unit as a preamp and like the sound so I don't want to bypass it

I am surprised you are not a fan of the asio4all driver.  I had been liking it on my PC's with a AQ Dragonfly

I will have to digest your recommendations and see if I can rethink my setup.  Sounds like if I want the best sound I may have to take this route and output from a PC to the Oppo via the Asyn USB.

I may have to pick your brain again  :)  Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up