INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: low level distortion [Solved]  (Read 26225 times)

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Re: low level distortion [Solved]
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2014, 05:10:04 pm »

I've been thinking about this some more.
How about an option to have the tool path dialog keep a running count of how many times the clip protection has kicked in during the current session.  That would allow people to be more aware that clip protection is happening.  Then once people know they'll be able to look for why and what to do to prevent that.

In addition, a running count of the number of sample overs and intersample overs during the current session would also be useful.

That sort of info would be helpful for example in this thread where an EQ curve or other processing was causing clipping but the user didn't recognize it as clipping protection distortion.  With digital processing like EQ or multichannel downmixing and other things that MC can do, it is very easy to end up with sample overs and clipping and not realize it.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2014, 11:23:52 pm »

With digital processing like EQ or multichannel downmixing and other things that MC can do, it is very easy to end up with sample overs and clipping and not realize it.
Yup. Agree 100%.

pcstockton

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2014, 11:32:46 pm »

how about NOT EQ-ing? I just read through this thread, and maybe i missed it but.... why do you EQ?

All the best,
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2014, 11:27:28 am »

^^^^^

I've turned it off.  I just spent time playing with it (again) and found it very easy to introduce distortion.  No more EQ for me. 

FastKayak / Larry

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2014, 11:40:35 am »

^^^^^

I've turned it off.  I just spent time playing with it (again) and found it very easy to introduce distortion.  No more EQ for me.  

FastKayak / Larry

Some of that distortion may be clipping related, but some of it may be tonal balance related.  All recorded music includes some distortion (as an unavoidable by-product of the recording process), and quite a bit of recorded music includes additional distortion deliberately added during the recording, mixing, or mastering process.  In the latter case in particular, a little distortion added to, say, an 80Hz fundamental note played on a bass guitar may make it sound fuller/heavier/darker, but may not sound out and out distorted to a casual listener, especially when mixed with all the other music going on.  But if you suddenly boost the frequencies around 80Hz, suddenly that 80Hz fundamental (and its attendant distortion) is leaping out of the mix at you.  Subjectively, it sounds as though you've introduced distortion, but in reality you've really just shone a spotlight on some quiet distortion that was intended to blend in with everything else.

I don't EQ unless I'm trying to do speaker or room correction (i.e. when I know based on measurement that my speakers or room are too bass heavy, or too light on the treble, etc.). I think you can compare applying EQ to try and improve the sound engineer's mixing or mastering to putting salt in your coca-cola: it's probably harmless, you might like the way it tastes, but it's easy to wind up with something unpalatable if you go too far.

JadenKrosis

• Recent member
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2014, 10:59:49 pm »

^^^^^^^That pretty much sums it up. ^^^^^^^
MC19 Windows Vista 32bit  (2)JBL LSR6328P  JBL LSR6312SP (sub)
Audioquest Diamond USB Audioquest Colorado XLR Sky RCA interconnects Audioquest NRG
AudioMagic Stealth power conditioner AudioMagic PowerMaster cord
M2Tech Young dac M2tech Palmer power supply

Arindelle

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2014, 03:39:16 am »

how about NOT EQ-ing? I just read through this thread, and maybe i missed it but.... why do you EQ?

All the best,
Patrick

Hmmm, well I don't use eq in my  bi-amped (active) system -- but I do on my stellar client running direct from the Mother Board ( its a NOS dac!!  ;D) into gorgeous logitech 2.1 speakers with 1" aluminum foil mids - I think its got a tweeter somewhere too

@Patrick -- There might be people on the forum who are waiting to add their HiCap to their system or even use .... euh ... Linn gear!  ;D

sorry couldn't resist! seriously ... with one of my zones, I use  room correction/eq when I sit in one of my easy chairs which is way too close to the left speaker late at night (I like the chair and its too big too move at 2AM - normally I listen to audio with no DSPs set in JRiver at all.

pcstockton

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2014, 04:47:53 pm »

;D
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up