INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long gaps between songs and gapless?  (Read 4765 times)

Todd R

• Junior Woodchuck
Long gaps between songs and gapless?
« on: December 29, 2013, 10:29:03 am »

Using MC 19.0.84 from my Mac (OS 10.9.1), connecting to the Bridge Card in my PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC by an Ethernet cord.

The software is finally working well and is reliable. The only issue is I must reset the Bridge every time I start the software before MC will see it, but other than that it's ok.

2 things:
I'm getting fairly long gaps between the songs. Is there any way to shorten the time like there is on a DAC connected directly to the computer? (Tools>Options> Audio)

When will gapless playback be available for DNLA connected devices? I KNOW this DAC will do gapless through the bridge because it was working with eLyric. However since eLyric is broken again, I have to suffer through inturruptions in the music when using JRiver. 

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Long gaps between songs and gapless?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:27:58 am »

Media Center supports gapless playback on devices that correctly implement the DLNA 'SetNextAVTransportURI' command.  It's possible eLyric uses something proprietary.  For DLNA in Media Center, are you using the "Audiophile 24-bit DAC" server?  You should probably update to Media Center 19.0.100 and check for an available firmware update for your DAC.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Todd R

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 01:01:17 pm »

Media Center supports gapless playback on devices that correctly implement the DLNA 'SetNextAVTransportURI' command.  It's possible eLyric uses something proprietary.  For DLNA in Media Center, are you using the "Audiophile 24-bit DAC" server?  You should probably update to Media Center 19.0.100 and check for an available firmware update for your DAC.

John,
Yes I'm using the  "Audiophile 24-bit DAC" server.
I'm on version 19.0.84. is 19.0.100 an official release because when I did the check for update it told me I had the latest.
DAC Firmware is the latest.
No idea about the command.
Any other ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 02:46:36 pm »

I'm on version 19.0.84. is 19.0.100 an official release because when I did the check for update it told me I had the latest.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Updates

Todd R

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 04:37:19 pm »

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Updates

Thanks,
Go the latest software installed now. Still no gapless.

Ian M

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 03:04:33 am »

I may have asked this before but on the subject of gapless, is anyone able to get gapless whilst streaming to a squeezebox touch from a mac. I don't think it is possible and it's very annoying!

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 03:47:46 pm »

Thanks,
Go the latest software installed now. Still no gapless.
Then most likely your DAC doesn't support standards-compliant gapless over DLNA.  You could go to their forum and post this issue.  Mention what I said about support for the DLNA 'SetNextAVTransportURI' command.  You can provide them with my email address if they want to talk to us about it (johnt at jriver dot com).
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 09:51:20 am »

Is it possible to provide an uninterupted stream via dlna in a way similar to foobar's UPnP MediaRenderer Output?   That works great with non-gapless streamers.  Of course, I'd much prefer to use j.river:)

It essentially lets foobar actually play back the file and then streams it to the dlna player.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 01:54:08 pm »

I may have asked this before but on the subject of gapless, is anyone able to get gapless whilst streaming to a squeezebox touch from a mac. I don't think it is possible and it's very annoying!
Are you using the WhiteBear plugin/server for LMS? It works great with our squeezebox radio.
The upnp plugin that is default in LMS can't do it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 01:56:54 pm »

Is it possible to provide an uninterupted stream via dlna in a way similar to foobar's UPnP MediaRenderer Output?   That works great with non-gapless streamers.  Of course, I'd much prefer to use JRiver:)

It essentially lets foobar actually play back the file and then streams it to the dlna player.
Not currently.
We've been thinking that over.
On the windows end there are some audio drivers that essentially do that acting as a shim.
That doesn't really relieve the renderer of it's responsibility to implement the setnext function. It's mainly a workaround that has some downsides (like it can't do metadata properly).

Ian M

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 05:37:16 pm »

Are you using the WhiteBear plugin/server for LMS? It works great with our squeezebox radio.
The upnp plugin that is default in LMS can't do it.

WhiteBear is not available for mac?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 05:58:51 pm »

WhiteBear is not available for mac?
Umm, good point...
Perhaps you can get the people that support the default uPnP plugin for LMS to add the SetNexAVTransportURI function.

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 02:04:52 am »

Not currently.
We've been thinking that over.
On the windows end there are some audio drivers that essentially do that acting as a shim.
That doesn't really relieve the renderer of it's responsibility to implement the setnext function. It's mainly a workaround that has some downsides (like it can't do metadata properly).

when you say there are some windows audio drivers that act like a shim, what do you mean?   In terms of metadata, as long as the workaround is bitperfect, I think those of us who are stuck with dlna players that don't do gapless would be ok.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 09:38:33 pm »

For example, it's what WhiteBear does, though WhiteBear does a lot more.
The software acts as a renderer then controls the real renderer, hence my description of this as a shim.

The only "trick" is that the stream from the fake renderer to the real renderer is never closed regardless of the fact that it's receiving individual files on it's input.
That's why the metadata won't work.
It also doesn't work for all renderers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up