INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import Not Respecting Media Sub Type Tag  (Read 1253 times)

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
Import Not Respecting Media Sub Type Tag
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:46:49 am »

Hi, I have just decided to migrate from MC18 to MC19 and am in the process of setting it all up and replicating the MC18 settings.
However, I have come across an issue that wasn't there in MC18.

I have separate folders for TV Shows, Movies, Music Videos etc which all import correctly with the relevant 'Media Sub Type' tag set correctly. However, I also have a folder '\Misc' where I put odd video files that I don't want in the normal TV or Movie views. These could be odd TV episodes or even the odd movie that I don't want clogging up the regular views. For this folder import I have it set to assign the 'Media Sub Type' as 'Other' as shown in the screen shot below. However, the importer is not always respecting this 'Media Sub Type' and some of the files are being assigned a 'Media Sub Type' of 'TV Shows' or 'Movies'.

It seems as though the importer is recognising the file as a TV Show or Movie and overriding my 'Media Sub Type' request.

Is there a setting that I have overlooked. I have tested this out with MC18 and all the files in the \Misc folder are imported with the 'Media Sub Type' set as 'Other' so it appears that the behaviour has changed in MC19.

Could anyone offer advice on this please.

EDIT: Just a quick update - I have tried disabling 'Get movie & TV info' in the import screen and it has made no difference.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Import Not Respecting Media Sub Type Tag
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 12:02:49 pm »

Hit Edit on your Media Sub Type rule.  Is the box that tells it to ignore the rule for existing fields enabled?

Also, are the files you're testing completely fresh or are you removing them from MC and re-adding them?  The latter won't work without more effort.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:27:18 pm »

If you are re-importing files there are a couple things that MC does:

- dvd rips (ifo) will be given a media subtype of 'movie'. I'm not sure why but apparently it intentional.

- wmv will keep their previous tags. they will not get updated. i think because the tags are embedded like mp3, flac, etc.

To work around this you have to completely remove files from from MC. This can be done by first deleting the files from MC, then by making a smartlist with a rule of ~d=r and delete the files again from there. This will make files do a fresh import instead of a re-import.

For wmv files there is an extra step. Before completely removing them, do a right click / remove tags.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 01:55:01 pm »

Thanks very much guys for the replies, they have been very helpful.

As you both suspected the files were not fresh but had been deleted from the library and then re-imported. This was never a problem (for me anyway) in MC18 so it would appear that the behaviour has changed somewhat in MC19.

I have now done as you suggested and first deleted the files from the library and then set up a smartlist with the rule of '~d=r' and deleted them again from there. After this I re-imported the files and they now have the correct 'Media Sub Type' tag applied.

One thing that I have found rather odd though is that if I delete a file in the library that has got the correct 'Media Sub Type' of 'Other' and then just re-import it again I can see it come back into the library with the correct 'Media Sub Type' of 'Other' as before but then I can watch it change the 'Media Sub Type' to 'Movie' a couple of seconds later. Why would this be the case when it had never had a Media Sub Type of 'Movie' before this. If I delete the file twice (using the special smartlist) then it will re-import correctly and respect the settings.

Perhaps the developers could comment on whether this is intentional behaviour or not. If it is intentional then I find it a little worrying as I do with all software that thinks it knows better than me what I want to do with my data (Microsoft, Apple etc).

- dvd rips (ifo) will be given a media subtype of 'movie'. I'm not sure why but apparently it intentional.

If this is true then I find this worrying as well for the same reason. What is the DVD rip was a music video or TV show.

Anyway, thanks for the help. At least I now understand what is happening if not why.

PS. I can understand the situation with wmv files as they have embedded tags.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 03:50:21 pm »

As you both suspected the files were not fresh but had been deleted from the library and then re-imported. This was never a problem (for me anyway) in MC18 so it would appear that the behaviour has changed somewhat in MC19.

It is definitely long-standing behavior, since at least MC16 (but probably prior).  It tracks deleted files for a few reasons:

1. This enables the "don't reimport files I removed" feature of Auto-Import.
2. It can save your butt if you accidentally remove a file (which, otherwise, would cause you to lose any metadata not saved to in-file tags, and require a Library restore to correct).
3. When you do re-import a previously deleted file, it is much faster because it essentially just marks it "undeleted" and moves it from the deleted items database back to the active one.  It doesn't require any of the "analysis" routines to be run, which can be "expensive" (since they have to decode the files).

One thing that I have found rather odd though is that if I delete a file in the library that has got the correct 'Media Sub Type' of 'Other' and then just re-import it again I can see it come back into the library with the correct 'Media Sub Type' of 'Other' as before but then I can watch it change the 'Media Sub Type' to 'Movie' a couple of seconds later. Why would this be the case when it had never had a Media Sub Type of 'Movie' before this.

I don't think this is right and maybe something is a little broken in there.  It sounds to me like the automatic Media Sub Type analysis is being re-run on reimported files, even though the rest of the automatic metadata "massaging" (Carnac and Tag On Import) are not.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if you also made sure there wasn't a JRSidecar file on disk with the "bad" (Movie) information in it.  MC does use those (Sidecar files always win, like embedded tags) when re-importing a previously deleted file, the assumption being that some other copy of MC (or another Library) could have "touched" the files in the interim.  Basically, embedded tags always win, and JRSidecar.xml files are embedded tags for video file types that don't otherwise support embedded tags.

So, one addition to syndromeofadown's instructions above is to ensure you also delete from disk any JRSidecar files that belong to the test file.  You have to be clever, though because Auto-Import is too quick if you try to do it with that turned on (the order you do things in counts, to a great degree).  If I'm ever testing Tag On Import rules, this is the process I follow:

1. Disable Auto-Import.
2. Right-click > Library Tools > Remove Tags
3. Remove the file from MC, and from the Deleted Items database.
4. Delete the JRSidecar file.
5. Re-import by going to Tools > Import > Run Auto-Import Now.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 04:51:57 pm »

also delete from disk any JRSidecar files
Indeed. I forget that one.

Glynor, I posted this movie subtype behavior here as a bug here
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69940.msg471398#msg471398
You responded with
You're right.  That's the way it works.
That's why i assumed this was intentional. I thought maybe this behavior was decided by the beta team or something.
Pages: [1]   Go Up