INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible problem with DSD playback and Benchmark DAC2 HGC  (Read 6446 times)

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
Possible problem with DSD playback and Benchmark DAC2 HGC
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:54:20 pm »

I've got a Benchmark DAC2 HGC and Media Center 19.0.91. I have installed the DAC2 ASIO driver (authored by Thesycon). Setting MC to use this ASIO driver I have no problems playing PCM converted to DSD on the fly - the DSD lights come on fine on my DAC. If however I play a file that is DSD already (either one I have donwloaded, or one MC has converted) then I get "Something went wrong with playback... Playback could not be started on the output ASIO using the format DSD 2.8MHz". If I change the Audio Device settings in MC to WASAPI the same DSD file will play fine. So, how does a file that MC converts to DSD on the fly play fine through the Benchmark ASIO driver, but not a file that is DSD in the first place? MC recommends using ASIO if your DAC supports it, which is why I have. Should I just switch to WASAPI? I don't play a great deal of DSD, so it's not a show-stopper, but would be greatful for some insight.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Possible problem with DSD playback and Benchmark DAC2 HGC
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 04:29:24 pm »

Enable: Tools → Options → Audio → Audio Device → Device Settings → DSD bitstream in DoP format

You should also enable "Device uses only most significant 24-bits" while you're there.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 04:56:58 pm »

Enable: Tools → Options → Audio → Audio Device → Device Settings → DSD bitstream in DoP format

You should also enable "Device uses only most significant 24-bits" while you're there.

Thank you so much! Worked perfectly! I hadn't realised there was a "DSD bitstream in DoP format" choice in the driver control panel for ASIO - there is the same option Audio Settings. Plus the fact that converting to DSD on the fly worked with the ASIO settings I had, had me foxed. Thanks again.

Is there a good reason for preferring ASIO to WASAPI given that I have the choice?

And do you know what the "Device uses only most significant 24 bits" means or affects - it seems to work either way for non-DSD files.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 05:26:28 pm »

Thank you so much! Worked perfectly! I hadn't realised there was a "DSD bitstream in DoP format" choice in the driver control panel for ASIO - there is the same option Audio Settings. Plus the fact that converting to DSD on the fly worked with the ASIO settings I had, had me foxed. Thanks again.
No problem.

Is there a good reason for preferring ASIO to WASAPI given that I have the choice?
With an ASIO driver provided by the manufacturer, you have more direct access and control over the hardware.
Generally ASIO seems to provide a more stable output.

And do you know what the "Device uses only most significant 24 bits" means or affects - it seems to work either way for non-DSD files.
My understanding of it is that ASIO operates using 32-bit signals, however the Benchmark DAC2 only accepts 24-bit, so the lowest 8-bits are discarded.

If you enable that option in Media Center, it means that noise shaping treats the output as if it were a 24-bit signal rather than a 32-bit one.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 03:37:10 pm »

Thanks again. :)

verfan

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 04:45:56 pm »

I have the same set up with the DAC2 HGC, I have set up the same way as described as about and all I hear is a steady hissing sound. The lights that illuminate are the x4, 44, and 24. Is there something that I am doing or is it the audio file itself. Turning off the bitstreaming, 16,44 and 4x are illuminated. The files were free downloads from Blue Coast Audio. Also does anyone know where to download a good test file. I would like to see the x2 and x4 light up at some point proving that DSD bitstreaming works.

update.
I had the greater than 192k to play at 192k for the sample rate. Now the error comes up "Playback could not be started using the format 352.8kHz-64bit2ch." does this mean that the file's native rate is 3352.8KHz?

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 06:22:22 pm »

Something is going wrong if the DoP stream is being detected as 176.4kHz PCM rather than DSD - which would also explain the static you're hearing.

I suspect the issue is that the ASIO buffer size is set too small to properly support all sample rates.

In the driver control panel ("TUSBAudio Control Panel") under Buffer Settings, for playback to properly support up to 192kHz it must be configured to a minimum of:

Minimum latency: 256 samples
    Low latency: 512 samples
    Standard: 1024 samples
    Relaxed: 2048 samples
    Safe: 4096 samples
    Extra Safe: 8192 samples

If the number of samples is lower than this setting for any given USB Streaming Mode, it is likely to fail to play back correctly at DoP/176/192kHz rates.

Personally, I do not need the DAC to be operating in a low latency mode, so I use the Extra Safe streaming mode with a buffer size of 8192 samples. This is the highest latency mode, but is the most error-resistant for playback.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 02:22:23 pm »

Also does anyone know where to download a good test file.

Try http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

HiFiTubes

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 02:23:55 pm »

Something is going wrong if the DoP stream is being detected as 176.4kHz PCM rather than DSD - which would also explain the static you're hearing.

I suspect the issue is that the ASIO buffer size is set too small to properly support all sample rates.

In the driver control panel ("TUSBAudio Control Panel") under Buffer Settings, for playback to properly support up to 192kHz it must be configured to a minimum of:

Minimum latency: 256 samples
    Low latency: 512 samples
    Standard: 1024 samples
    Relaxed: 2048 samples
    Safe: 4096 samples
    Extra Safe: 8192 samples

If the number of samples is lower than this setting for any given USB Streaming Mode, it is likely to fail to play back correctly at DoP/176/192kHz rates.

Personally, I do not need the DAC to be operating in a low latency mode, so I use the Extra Safe streaming mode with a buffer size of 8192 samples. This is the highest latency mode, but is the most error-resistant for playback.

What is the relationship of these buffer settings in Thesycon vs. "Large buffer" checkbox and buffer size in MC?

Also interesting that the Thesycon buffers sizes don't seem to auto change based on what setting you choose, although you will at times get a warning if it is set too long.

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 02:59:23 pm »

What is the relationship of these buffer settings in Thesycon vs. "Large buffer" checkbox and buffer size in MC?
As far as I can tell, those settings don't have any effect with the Benchmark DAC2 driver.

Also interesting that the Thesycon buffers sizes don't seem to auto change based on what setting you choose, although you will at times get a warning if it is set too long.
I can see reasons why you might, or might not, want the settings to change automatically.

Having them change automatically would allow you to operate with a fixed latency, which would be useful in some scenarios.
I upsample all video to 192kHz in MC to operate with a fixed latency because the driver doesn't offer this option, for example.

It's easy to get caught out and select a latency which is too low to support the format that you want to play though, if the last thing you played was 44.1kHz.
The control panel could be a lot better in that regard, and it's the reason I posted that list.
Pages: [1]   Go Up