INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Morpheus Goes To Sleep  (Read 5597 times)

Harry The Hipster

Morpheus Goes To Sleep
« on: February 27, 2002, 01:09:04 am »

Music City's Morpheus is off the air....at least for the time being. "Incompatibility" between its program and a system upgrade that KaZaa (its primary vendor) made 'without notifying us'. An improved, open protocl release promised from Music City within a day or so.

- ZDnet.....

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-845889.html

BTW, the ndustry's proposed response to the latest P2P development (swapping .zip files): load them with viruses that kill the user's drive. Creative minds at work, giving the consumer what they want.

HTH

zevele1

RE:Morpheus Goes To Sleep
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2002, 01:22:11 am »

I saw,long ago on the web,something about it.Not a virus.But to put ,as a user,mp3 look a like on the sharing stuff.When you try to open it,you get a "bad boy this is not yours" message
Do they know that there is still non virtual bullets ?

Harry|PLS|The|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2002, 01:33:16 am »

This latest one came from the lawyer for Led Zeppelin, who was quoted in an article on the topic 1-2 days ago, but the same idea has been attributed to other industry people, too.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. "

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

HTH

RAVMAN

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2002, 03:35:38 am »

The music industry just doesn't get it! Most apps like Morpheus are crap.

I would gladly pay for music online if I could search well known artists albums, pick the songs I want, pay for them (yes I would pay for high quality files), download them in a format that does not expire and can be burned to CD so it can be played any where. This mode of distribution would be much cheaper than the current model of CD in fancy store with fancy packaging but all I ask is that you pass the savings on to me. I can burn my own CD and print my own album cover.

The greedy record companies want to have their cake and eat it too. They can't stop file sharing so why don't they offer a service that people would really buy into. Their current offering is limited downloads, limited number of plays, limited if any CD burning at a premium price. No chance of success. Again, give us what we really want!

My 2 cents.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2002, 04:23:28 am »

Just to offer a slightly different point of view.  I agree with you that the current situation is a disgrace, but there are contractual issues.

1.  Every time a file is copied, there is a "mechanical" royalty due to the song writer/song publisher of 7 3/4 cents.  This means that if you download 100 tracks, there is a royalty payment of $7.75 due.  That covers the song writer, but doesn't pay the record label who recorded the song.  So, it's safe to say that there will be at least another $7.75 due.  Together, that makes our cost $15.50.  Assuming we want to eat, we have to charge something like $25 to $30.  So that sets the minimum cost for a reasonable number of downloads.

2.  Maybe even a worse problem -- most contracts record labels have (if they can find them) don't cover the electronic distribution of the tracks.  This means that they have to go through their entire catalog and verify that they have the right or try to acquire the right through negotiation.  A long, tedious process.

3.  We can't sell anything until piracy is brought to a more "reasonable" level.  If you can get it easily for free in the privacy of your own home, are you going to pay?  Perhaps a few will.

So, to blame the wicked industry is an over simplification.  They aren't Snow White but they aren't the Evil Empire.  Just as consumers aren't Pirates or Princes, in spite of how the record industry is behaving.

It might help a lot if the rhetoric were toned down on both sides.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

zevele1

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2002, 05:20:40 am »

JIMH
good to have  the other side telling
You tell us that  a fair deal from you will tag at around $30 for 100 songs.It is not cheap.I will not take a 12 months subscription at this price.It is cheaper than 7 cds-more or less 100 songs- but not that much if you think about sleeves,lyrics and sound quality
I do believe that it has to cost much less.Number will lead to the same earning.Better to get one million times 2 cents than 100 times $10
have look at www.listen.com ,you will see that there is a way

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2002, 05:26:30 am »

You're talking about .30 a song. I would pay that in a heartbeat. I'm not sure about a subscription, but if I could pay a la carte, I would definitely sign up.

That's right in line with what I've been saying is a fair price all along.

zevele1

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2002, 05:33:53 am »

Doof
Me to.We will spend $50 a year on it.Now put $25 a month unlimited-$120 for 6 months-special bargain 4 months free for one year subscription.How much you will ready to spend on it?

JimH

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2002, 07:32:05 am »

King,
I hold you responsible.
Jim Hillegass

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2002, 07:36:39 am »

Sorry
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2002, 07:40:17 am »

I think someone here once posted a method to eliminate the pain of an ingrown toenail. Cut out a triangular piece from the middle. Apparently, that sets up forces inside the nail which result in the nail growing toward the center and pulling away form the painfull edges.

That was me. Next Page

troup

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2002, 08:47:10 am »

i'am IQ66

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2002, 09:14:59 am »

I am not a number, I am a human being

Who: #6
Show: the Prisoner
Date: 1966
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2002, 09:19:56 am »

I was mad about it.I really would like to see it again
on road 66

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2002, 02:41:10 pm »

zevele1

>>I was mad about it
Mad About what?
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Harry|PLS|the|PLS|Hipster

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2002, 03:00:33 pm »

"Get Your Kicks On Route 66".....Bobby Troup (better known for being the husband of the statuesque Julie London)

HTH

RAVMAN

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2002, 03:48:44 pm »

Let's see, I pay $20 for a CD now and if I could download an entire album for $10 this would be progress. As far as piracy, it is no difference as the CD at the store, because I could rip it in a few minutes, convert and convert it to MP3. OK- so the record companies answer to this is to sell copy protected CDs but users are saying loud and clear they don't want them if they don't work on the computer. Copy protected audio CDs also would hurt MJ since we would have no new music to rip.

Let me make it clear, I would much rather use a pay service for high quality files than rely on Morpheus loaded with viruses, spyware (not Morpheus), etc. Only problem there isn't any out there yet that offer a large selection, reasonable price, unlimited plays, and burnable to CD at any price.

Michael Horton

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2002, 03:59:10 pm »

who pay's $20 for a cd? aren't they, like, 14.99 at bestbuy? I don't really know, 'cause I only buy used cds.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2002, 04:08:35 pm »

MHorton,
The price varies according to store, artist, length of CD, etc. $20 is a pretty good ballpark average. $18 is closer. Bites don't it.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Michael Horton

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2002, 04:18:55 pm »

$20!

my only response is: half.com, eBay and Amazon (sells used cds now)

someone wake me up when they average $1

zevele1

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2002, 03:49:19 am »

KingSparta
I was mad about The Prisoner.Do you know if it is on DVD

zevele1

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2002, 03:57:43 am »

most of the cds i buy,new ones ,are on the $10-14 tag.www.miles of music,duffelbag,and others places

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2002, 08:14:21 am »

i was doing a internet search and found this site..

http://www.mp3grandcentral.net/signup.html

never heard of it.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Michael Horton

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2002, 08:28:32 am »

and http://www.gemm.com. forgot about that one. but it's better for OOP stuff. I've purchased many CDs for about .75 cents--3.99 each plus shipping from http://www.half.com/products/music/index.cfm

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2002, 09:01:38 am »

Second the endorsement on GEMM. Great for comparison price shopping and OOP and rare material.

HTH

zevele1

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2002, 09:02:15 am »

KingSparta
It is more or less kind of a ripp of.In fact they just connect you to Audiogalaxy,Imesh,Kaza and so on.I have an adress with millions of second hand cds.I will try to find where i put it

zevele1

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2002, 09:10:27 am »

GEMM great.They service to send you an email when a record you are  looking  is in for is in works fine
www.duffelbag.com is a good place for cut out,oop,second hand.They have a good and friendly service

cjdshaw

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2002, 10:06:55 am »

I'm confused by the whole Morpheus thing. Wasn't the point of a p2p network that it wasn't reliant on a central server and so couldn't be shut down?

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2002, 03:32:24 pm »

These guys were partners. Kazaa changed their software without informing Morpheus. Now the above come-on at the Kazaa site. It appears to be kind of low down to me.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2002, 03:59:11 pm »

the new version of Morpheus will be out on friday sometime.

>>I'm confused by the whole Morpheus thing. Wasn't the point of a p2p network
>>that it wasn't reliant on a central server and so couldn't be shut down?
Good Point.

I was reading that the new version is Moving Morpheus users to a Gnutella-based network

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-845889.html
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2002, 04:35:55 pm »

Back on, now. Only about 1/4 of the user base. People are fickle.
That's right.
I'm cool.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2002, 04:39:56 pm »

well i think most need to download the new build
Fayetteville, NC, USA

RAVMAN

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2002, 04:07:41 am »

Morpheus Preview Edition was posted. It uses the Gnutella network and no longer relies on KAAZA or Fasttrack. If you want the new Morpheus without the ads and a little more polished app (Morpheus Preview is pretty rough around the edges right now), it is built from an open source client called Gnucleus. Link here http://www.gnucleus.com

Alex

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2002, 05:43:28 am »

Yes, Morpheus is imperfect and unfair to the artists (and record companies) whose works are traded there.  However, there are several considerations that should have an impact on pricing for music downloads:

1.  There is a considerable segment of p2p music sharers who go out and buy CDs from artists they found online.  In the last week, I bought 3 CDs on the basis of music I downloaded.  Any pricing model must consider the 'sell-through' benefit that music-sharing provides;

2.  As [former member] mentioned, the demand model online is totally different from traditional channels of distribution.  As a result, that whole royalty model mentioned by JimH must go out the window.  If 150 million people can access your new song as soon as it comes out, the equilibrium between supply and demand will meet at a lower point because distribution is considerably cheaper now.  It's just economics 101.  As many have already mentioned, the record industry simply has to consider the economic model and create an economically efficient online pricing structure.

3.  I don't go for the argument that reform is not possible with all these existing artists and contracts.  If the record industry makes it a priority (and most artists are constantly looking for greater exposure), this kind of change could permeate the business in pretty short order.  I would think (hope) that such riders are being folded into all new recoding contracts, and that organizations like ASCAP (Are they still around) could facilitate the process.

Just my 2 cents.  By the way, Media Jukebox  is one of the most awesome software products I have ever used.  And I love the open dialog you promote between users and the company.

Michael Horton

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2002, 06:47:54 am »

hey, here's a place with "a billion songs . . ."

http://eblvd.com/fspromo.asp

Next Page

zevele1

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2002, 07:07:06 am »

link is not working

zevele1

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2002, 07:21:58 am »

Working now.Looks like a ripp of.Do you use it?

JimH

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2002, 07:51:32 am »

Just a gentle reminder that this forum is not a place to discuss how to find music that is being offered without the owner's permission.

Alex and others who believe the current situation is unfair:

I agree.  But the way to change this is by asking that the law be changed (Congress) and not by swiping the music.

Somewhere a long time ago, I read something that stuck:

"The conditions for revolution take a long time to evolve, but the revolution itself often happens very quickly."
Jim Hillegass

zevele1

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2002, 08:41:31 am »

You are rigth and i understand your position
Concerning your quote: not only on book.We saw it on tv:Berlin wall,Roumania and others
have a nice week-end

Swapper

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2002, 09:16:51 am »

I was posting another issue and saw this.  Interesting as people at work told me Morpheous was having difficulties.  With the exeption of a two day stint a week ago when it would not connect I have used Morpheous with out any trouble.  I just connected now to make certain I was not crazy.

This is the version I'm running: 1.3.3

Swapper

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2002, 12:00:17 pm »

My bag.  I guess there is an old network and a new network.  Old=Bad

Michael Horton

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2002, 12:50:59 pm »

Zevele1

>>>>>>>>>>Do you use it?

No, I came across it purely by accident. I was looking for places to buy OOP CDs and the search engine poped up that site--go figure. I buy CDs. Used CDs, but that's still legal so far. But I think that it's a legit place, at least, I hope that it is, 'cause I wouldn't have intentionally posted one that wasn't. I like to see the artists get paid (I'm not quite as concerned about the business end in music making because they always seem to find a way to make money). Plus, I don't like the feeling of having to constantly be looking over my shoulder . . .

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2002, 01:08:53 pm »

If the RIAA is successful in cornering the internet MP3 market, they'll go after used CD's next. Garth Brooks already tried to do it once.

Like Swapper, I have bought more CD's BECAUSE of sites like Napster and Morpheus (that includes Music01 when we could download) than ever before. While it is possible to download "bit perfect" music from the internet IN THEORY, in practice, that's not the case. Even the 128 KB music that you get from Morpheus (that's the limit) is most of the time flawed in some way or another. Songs start late or end early. Squeals, pops, etc. But it's a great way to preview music and artists that you haven't heard before. You like it, you buy it. But no one FORCED you to buy.
Napster had a "Buy" button for any MP3 you had. They also tried to preview artists and recommend them. You downloaded their offering and if you wanted, you could go to their web site and buy the CD. No big publishing company, no big record store. No middle men with their hand out. All profits to the artists. There WAS a fee but it was minimal. They didn't make any money when you downloaded a song from another user and there were no advertisements. The only thing threatening about their business model was that they threatened to cut out the big record companies. THAT'S why they got sued.
Just my opinion.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

sekim

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2002, 01:14:46 pm »

I had seen this a couple of days ago from zdnet or maybe techtv. Any relevance?

http://www.toadnode.com/

Michael Horton

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2002, 01:22:30 pm »

From what little I've seen at the sites,

eblvd is more like emusic, and toadnote is more like Morpheus

it seems to me, anyway

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2002, 01:26:00 pm »

MachineHead, It looks like a Gnutella-based program to me.
That's right.
I'm cool.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2002, 01:38:21 pm »

Morpheus Goes Titanic Should be the subject title

Bearshare seems to be a better program, I think it had some transfer problems early on, not sure how it is now
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ZRocker

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2002, 02:00:02 pm »

WARNING:
BearShare is infected with SpyWare...do not install it if unless you like being spied on.  Even if you uninstall BearSh*t, it leaves the SpyWare behind!!

Update:
Also, more info on spyware here and here.

sekim

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2002, 02:15:00 pm »

More spyware info can be found here.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2002, 02:43:48 pm »

New Morpheus is icky. You can disable bearshare in preferences. The rest is kind of confusing and the user base is apparently still very low. It doesn't say how many are on line in the new one.
I don't like it.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up