INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Morpheus Goes To Sleep  (Read 5598 times)

Harry The Hipster

RE:Morpheus Goes To Sleep
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2002, 04:40:39 pm »

<....going after sales of used CDs...>>

That'll be tough. Right of first sale pretty well established.

Of course, that's what we said about fair use, too. Pretty clear that the RIAA's position on the Hollings bill is that their 'right' to protect copyright trumps any user right to 'space shift' legally-owned files.

Funny, that's not what the Supremes said in Sony. But after all, what do they know?

HTH

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2002, 05:03:01 pm »

HTH,
The problem is that they have never been shown their boundaries and think they don't have any. They may be right.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

IQ10

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2002, 05:41:49 pm »

HTH wrote>"Right of first sale pretty well established"

Yep, but there is a loop hole in the first sale doctrine.  It is called the so called license perversion: no first sale, therefore no first sale ownership rights!!

No product is sold.  Only a license to use.
The ownership and title to the product is never transferred.
You may own the bag, the packaging; but you do not own the thingee inside the bag.

The fine print of the latest 'CDs', you may think you 'purchased', says you did not purchase the CD.
You only purchased a license to use the CD per the fine print license terms.

Not all that different from the JRiver license that you agree to with each beta download.
That license requires you to destroy previous versions (so much for ownership rights) and not to peek at the bits you have downloaded-that would be 'decompiling' or 'reverse engineering', both a violation of the JRiver license you agree to.

Soon the music moguls will forbid you from eyeballing both sides of the CD, too closely.
They may even license the left and right ear for separate use.

[former member]

Deathrider

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2002, 06:31:32 pm »

I downloaded Kazaa and it still looks like the old morpheus, also checked the user base at 8pm est and it was in excess of 1 million. I think the morphs went kazaa, I checked out the new morph and it is more than icky   more along the line of sickly.  

Well I wont lie, I use it to sample new music/artists to see if I like them enough to buy a cd, I got tired a long time ago from buying cd's and to find that I only liked one song. this way I can find out if they are a one hit wonder or worth buying.  there is a use for P2P but it has gotten blow out of proportion buy a few others, now if the RIAA can imbrace P2P as a sampling service it could help sales in MHO, otherwise I would not have learned about some other groups that I now look for in the stores, in addition The Art Of Noise is back on the shelves after a very long time but so far it is only old copies, maybe they will start recording some new stuff.

Robert Long

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2002, 09:20:02 pm »

Well, yeah IQ, I guess thats the question, isn't it? The infringement issue (valid as it may be at some level) has become a Trojan Horse to change the nature of the relationship. We yakked about this many threads ago, so won't regurgitate,

JimH, most of us don't deny the thrust of what you're saying, but its rather BSTP, since in this instance the scope of the response is wholly disproportionate to the nature of the problem that purportedly provokes it. The most revealing recent development is Hilary Rosen's comment about their rights trumping our rights (above somewhere). Doesn't have to be that way - unless the driver is a desire to eliminate our rights entirely, even if in the end they don't necessarily conflict with theirs.

HTH

zevele1

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2002, 05:45:35 am »

There is a funny thing
To be scandalised by programs that stole indications from you when you use programs to stole music.......................
None of this programs are here" for your beautiful eyes" -as we say in french-.They are here to make money.Even Napster was.If not, no need to be on WallStreet as Napster was
RIAA gang  has still to meet this kind of p2p software.I will say a "political one",not a mercantile one.More or less a kind of Napster not on the nasdaq

listening to Eternal Autumn  -the storm -metal

hvy duty

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2002, 04:21:55 pm »

Illinois:
Buy a used car five times and the tax is more than the car. This crap about you don't own the CD when you buy it.  Bull, Why don't they tell you that, not all that fine print stuff that most people don't read(more then that they can't read it even with 20-20 vision). You can feel sorry for these poor record company's that are busting the artist's and putting a big hole in our pocketbook's and want to keep everything as it is. THERE TAKE, WE OWN EVERYTHING INCLUDING YOU.

zevele1

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2002, 07:53:54 am »

by the way
5 days non stop with the new Morpheus running.I still have to get my first song on my hd!!

cjdshaw

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2002, 11:02:50 am »

I've switched to Edonkey2000. It takes a little more technical understanding than Morpheus, but is's very nice. In the last few days, I've downloaded two huge files which I'd been trying for weeks to get with Morpheus.

RAVMAN

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2002, 02:02:03 pm »

If you want the new Morpheus but one that has no ads and works, just download Gnucleus at http://www.gnucleus.com since the new Morpheus was built from open source code using the Gnucleus engine. I tried it and it works fairly well. It and Morpheus connect to the Gnutella network and neither contain any spyware. I wouldn't use Kaaza since it is loaded with spyware.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up