INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Max Length & Cable to Get best Possible Audio  (Read 1122 times)

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
Max Length & Cable to Get best Possible Audio
« on: January 19, 2014, 10:48:54 pm »

Hi,
Hoping to get some advise , I at present have a Samsung Smart TV with the Audio for both Movies and Music through a Yamaha RX-A1000
These are all networked to the PC which contains both Music & Movies. At present I feed the signal though the Cat 5 Connection.
I have recently upgraded my PC which will now allow me connectivity direct to the Amp via both HDMI or Toslink Cable .
The issue is the distance is from another room of approx 20 - 25 foot if I can feed the cables under the floor.
The question is which I would be better of using, and even if indeed I can use a Cable of that length ? without the signal degrading.
I want to be able to stream Flac,DTS Blu Ray Rips, MKV etc

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Max Length & Cable to Get best Possible Audio
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 11:10:27 pm »

Go with HDMI as it supports many more audio formats (eg toslink does not support 5.1 PCM, DTS-HD, TrueHD)

Length is no issue with the right cable.  We installed a 20m HDMI cable in one installation and there have been no problems.

With better quality construction and materials, including 24 AWG (0.205 mm˛) conductors, an HDMI cable can reach lengths of up to 15 meters (49 ft)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Cables

JRiver CEO Elect

styxx10

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Max Length & Cable to Get best Possible Audio
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:41:50 am »

Thanks Jmone for your advise,
It is something I have thought about, seems to be that using my existing setup I struggle with so many formats trying to get the
best possible Audio. I guess we are spoilt for choices. Once I get this done I can put my time to stressing over the next issue.Sure
that there is another one just round the corner waiting to become my next problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up