INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems playing WAV files [Solved]  (Read 2853 times)

theob

• Recent member
Problems playing WAV files [Solved]
« on: January 11, 2014, 08:18:19 am »

Running Benchmark Dac2 HGC connected to PC via USB, using benchmark driver. Ran good for 3 days. Listening to mostly dsf files for several hours then switched to 16/44 wav files via cues and jr stuttered badly . Had to reboot. After reboot problem persisted. I'm running windows xp in memory mode in JR. After stutter and 2nd reboot windows wanted to check my data disc for errors. What I do wrong or what is problem?

After several reboots JR does not run anything. Just sits there and stutters. Really liked it when it worked but now having 2nd thoughts about buying if it won't work. Help!

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver 19 trial
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:53:39 am »

then switched to 16/44 wav files via cues

So we are on the same page, you are running from cue sheets?

Try reimporting the files into MC and playing from the songs/albums themselves. Try switching off memory playback

After several reboots JR does not run anything. Just sits there and stutters.

this is strange behavior .. what do you mean sits there and stutters. Sounds more like a hardware or windows config issue. Which version of XP are you using. How much memory is being used?

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 06:13:54 am »

Reloaded JR and fixed it. I guess you can't leave DSP at DOP when you try to run wav  files. Once I deselected DOP prior to running wav stuff or anything else it's ok.

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:37:35 am »

For convenience you can set up a second zone with a rule to switch your DSP settings whne you run DSD files. That way you won't have to remember or auto configure each time which would be a PITA if you have a lot of DSDs

ouch have to stop with all the abreviations/acronyms  :) took me awhile to remember what DOP was

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 06:41:10 am »

I thought I fixed it ...listened to 90 minutes of dsf, switched DOP and tried wav files...back to stuttering. Sorry this how I listen to music.

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 07:03:24 am »

shouldn't happen -- probably a config issue ... need more info please

what are your device settings?

You might have to create two zones, rather than it just being an option for convenience to see what's the issue. I can see stuttering with big DSF but wav flac or other standard files, no. You shouldn't be running from cue sheets though, if you are still doing that

Potentially a problem with older motherboards running XP, especially under read from memory. If you were having problems with DSD, I'd say read form disk (no sonic benefits anyways  :P ) and not memory, but if DSD works and not PSM that's should have nothing to do with it.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 07:22:18 am »

If you're switching output modes all the time, you should really setup 2 zones. That's what they're for  ;)

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:00:58 am »

What are these 2 zones?

Arindelle

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 08:18:17 am »

What are these 2 zones?
you have one by default called "player" probably. That's why I asked you for your device settings. Go to Player=>Zone=>Add. For each zone you can have a different device and/or DSP configuration.  Ideally, you would set up a zone rule which can automatically switch between the two configs (one PCM and one DSD as an example).

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 08:45:15 am »

Ok set up a non dsd zone with essentially default settings and as long as I stop playback then switch zones  it seems to work. Thanks! Interesting when it doesn't work I can see on my benchmark that the dsd lights come on which obviously is not right. Maybe that's the solution.

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 09:18:50 am »

Ok set up a non dsd zone with essentially default settings and as long as I stop playback then switch zones  it seems to work. Thanks! Interesting when it doesn't work I can see on my benchmark that the dsd lights come on which obviouslyisnotright. Maybe that's the solution.

Good! Now what you might want to try is Player=>Zone=>ZoneSwitch. When setting up the rule with the wizard (something like [Filetype] is ), you have a "stop playback in these zones" box. Create one for pcm and one for dsd with that set and you won't have to push stop.

If you want to mix them up on a playlist though you'll have to take off the DoP setting so they will be played at back with other PCM, but at high rez.

theob

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 09:57:02 am »

Ok thanks.

Arindelle

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 10:27:28 am »

sure thing :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up