INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get the expected bitrate over network  (Read 3737 times)

moggi1964

• Recent member
Can't get the expected bitrate over network
« on: January 11, 2014, 12:09:43 pm »

So I have JRiver 19 on the Windows 7 PC (where my music lives) and am streaming it DNLA via wireless to a Windows 8.1 laptop where JRIver 19 is also installed. The Emotiva XDA-2 is USB connected to the laptop.

I can stream Spotify on the laptop and it comes out at 192 on the XDA. I can play a high res file stored on the laptop and it comes at at a high res so WASAPI is working fine.

The issue: when I stream from the PC to the laptop I only get 44.1 on the XDA no matter what res the file is. This makes me think that Windows is interfering on the PC end but I am not sure what settings require changing.

I have the JRiver settings in 'Client Options' set to "Don't convert" and "PCM 24bit". I have DLA Server Audio set to " Mode Original" and "Format PCM 24 bit". In the "Advanced" "Stereo Downmix" is checked and not able to be unchecked.

I have searched and found some related information but nothing that has resolved the issue.

I am using the Trial version of JRiver 19.

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't get the expected bitrate over network
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 05:40:37 pm »

I have the JRiver settings in 'Client Options' set to "Don't convert" and "PCM 24bit".

Just to be clear, this should be set on the laptop (your client), not the PC (your server).  Is that correct?

I have DLA Server Audio set to " Mode Original" and "Format PCM 24 bit". In the "Advanced" "Stereo Downmix" is checked and not able to be unchecked.

These settings are for using MC as a DLNA server to other DLNA devices.  They are not used when streaming from MC to MC on 2-computers.  Client Options on the laptop are the settings you need to look at.

In Options -> Media Network, do you have Use Media Network and DLNA Server, DLNA Renderer, DLNA Controller checked on both computers? 

On the laptop, I'm assuming your Audio Device is set to SPDIF Device [WASAPI] (Device settings need to have Event Style unchecked if you are using the new driver (12/12/12) and checked if you are using the archived driver). 

Also on the laptop, look at Output Format in DSP studio to make sure it is not downsampling any sample rates to 44.1.

If you are playing the same high res file locally, it is not the last two issues, but just double checking it is not a difference in sample rate between what you are trying to stream and what you tested locally.

moggi1964

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 08:54:38 pm »

I will check each item and get back to you. Thanks.

moggi1964

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 07:26:46 pm »

Sorry to not get back to you but I haven't been able to check just now. Will follow up tomorrow hopefully.

moggi1964

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 02:39:14 pm »

Okay,

so I have "Use Media Network and DLNA Server, DLNA Renderer, DLNA Controller checked on both computers".

On the laptop, the Audio Device is set to SPDIF Device [WASAPI] (Device settings has Event Style unchecked as I am using the new driver (12/12/12).

Also on the laptop, the Output Format in DSP studio is not downsampling any sample rates to 44.1.

So what settings do I need on the PC version of JRiver to send the data at original resolution to the laptop for processing?

Thanks.

connersw

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 03:51:58 pm »

It's not the settings on the PC, it is the settings on the laptop.  Please check:

I have the JRiver settings in 'Client Options' set to "Don't convert" and "PCM 24bit".

Just to be clear, this should be set on the laptop (your client), not the PC (your server).  Is that correct?

moggi1964

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 04:13:46 pm »

Yes, that is set on the laptop.

Still not working though.

Should I just reset the PC settings back to default?

connersw

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 04:36:07 pm »

It is not the PC settings; it is the laptop that is the issue.

This should already be set, but just to double check. 

On the laptop, right click on the Windows speaker icon in the Taskbar Notification Area and select Playback devices.  Select SPDIF Device -> Properties -> Supported Formats.  In the Sample Rates box, make sure all Sample Rates are checked.

Also, how are you accessing your PC?  Are you loading your PC library onto the laptop? 

File -> Library Manger -> Add Library -> Library Server.  Did you enter the access key or did you use the IP address with port 52199?

moggi1964

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 04:46:33 pm »

All formats are supported on the SPDIF Device (renamed Emotiva XDA-2).

I used the access key generated by the PC. I input that into the laptop version of JRiver and it worked fine.

I can see all the files stored on my PC when I launch JRiver on the laptop (after having launched it on the PC) and I can get them to play on the PC from the laptop and on the laptop (well, through the laptop to the Emotiva) from the laptop but always at 44.1

I just closed them all down and played Spotify and it streams at 192 according to the XDA-2.

Thanks for your continued support and patience.

connersw

Re: Re: Can't get the expected bitrate over network
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 06:33:30 pm »

Any chance you have a low res copy of the file saved on your laptop and have the option Play local file if available checked?

I don't use Spotify, so I am unfamiliar, but doesn't it just stream 320kbps mp3 files?  How are you upsampling to 192khz?

moggi1964

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 08:41:49 pm »

Definitely no local copy.

I'm guessing that Spotify is at 192kbps and not 192khz.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the output on Emotiva? Maybe I AM getting it as high as it will go?

I'll do some further digging.

Thanks for your continuing support.

connersw

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 08:29:35 am »

I just read Spotify streams in Vorbis, not MP3 so technically 192kHz is possible.  Not sure why they would send a lossy stream at such a high Sample Rate, but it is possible.  I am just not that familiar with Spotify. 

Your original understanding of XDA-2 LCD screen is correct; it should display the Sample Rate, not Bitrate. 

Also, it is possible to send a 192kHz Sample Rate from MC Server to an MC Client and have the XDA-2 display 192kHz.  I have done it.  I am starting to get a bit stumped though because all your settings seem correct.

One last thing that I should have asked from the beginning:  what does the Audio Path in MC on the laptop say it is outputting (3-bar equalizer icon in the upper right)?  Would it be possible to attach a screen shot showing the native Sample Rate of the song being played along with the Audio Path window open (like the one attached below)?

connersw

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 08:33:59 am »

Just reread the title of this post.  Maybe, you are confusing Sample Rate and Bitrate.  A lossless flac file in "CD Quality" has a Bit Depth/Sample Rate of 16/44.1kHz.  When you said playing high res files, I assumed you meant a 24/96kHz or 24/192kHz high resolution track like you get from HDTracks.  Could you please clarify what type of file you are trying to play?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 10:18:39 am »

^

Or just to be even more explicit for a lossless (pcm) track

bitrate := sample rate X channels X bit depth per channel

So for example an HD track, sampled at 192kHz with 2 channels and 24 bits per channel has a bitrate of 192000 X 2 X 24 := 9.2 million bits per second. Which is a whole different ballgame than an MP3 track at (say) 192 thousand bits per second...
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

moggi1964

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 07:00:01 am »

Complex stuff, huh!

I will try and check tonight to see what I was playing.

I think it was a 1411bps AIFF if I recall correctly.

connersw

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 08:43:33 am »

1411bps AIFF

This is Bitrate.  We'll want to look at the Sample Rate since that is what the XDA-2 displays. 

By the size of that number, I'm guessing it is 44.1kHz or 48kHz.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 09:02:48 am »

This is Bitrate.  We'll want to look at the Sample Rate since that is what the XDA-2 displays.  

By the size of that number, I'm guessing it is 44.1kHz or 48kHz.

44100Hz x 16bit x 2ch := 1411' 200 := 1411 kbps   (note the "k")
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

moggi1964

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 10:45:29 am »

Thank you both.

It seems that my settings are now correct and that I was misinterpreting the output figure.

I will double check when I load a piece of high res music later and if that doesn't reflect the higher sample rate then I'll be back.

moggi1964

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 03:24:05 pm »

So managed to see 88.2khz on some flac files.

Only downside was the first 10 seconds or so didn't play right, just popped and cracked a little.
Pages: [1]   Go Up