INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Latest news, Women sues record lable for copy protected CD  (Read 1286 times)

Deathrider

Latest news, Women sues record lable for copy protected CD
« on: February 25, 2002, 03:35:29 pm »

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Latest news, Women sues record lable for copy protected CD
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2002, 03:40:52 pm »

thats why i stoped buying cd-roms last year.

I still buy them from Mp3.com
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2002, 04:50:06 pm »

This is a new website that reports on industry attempts to utilize copyright ownership to suppress distribution of digitized music:

http://www.chillingeffects.org/

A joint venture between the EFF and various law schools. Some interesting things there for everyone, not just lawyers.

HTH

cepler

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2002, 06:53:24 pm »

I really don't get what all the fuss is about 'protecting' the CD's.  If you can get the analog signal (Which you'll have to get if you want to HEAR the music) you can digitize it and encode THAT as MP3.  Why are they so ANTI-Digital?!  Sure, it may make it EASIER, but if worse comes to worse, people will just start encoding with analog, it won't stop music swapping...period.

konamike

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2002, 11:22:17 pm »

The 'fuss' arose as a result of how easy it has become in recent years to copy and acquire music. Napster probably would not have become the phenomenon it did had there been no MP3 (or similar) audio format and if everyone had a 28.8k connection. CDs with digital music have been around since the mid 80's, but no one in their right mind would consider downloading a 45-megabyte file over their dial-up. It's *because* it is so easy that this fuss has come about.

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2002, 11:33:39 pm »

I think cepler's point was that they're making it tougher to rip music from a protected disc, but not impossible. There has to be playback capability somewhere, so with the right programs and equipment,  you can jury-rig a solution that lets you intercept a wav generated from a conventional audio source and encode it to mp3 without using the resident burner.

HTH

zevele1

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2002, 04:33:43 am »

cepler
The point it that some cds have a protection who make you cannot play them in a cdroom or a cdwritter.Many people do not have a stereo,just the computer.So,in this case,to get music on mp3 is quite a problem.You are right,there is always a way.Mini disc have my favor.Because of all "the Napster clones",one working one hour on a protected cd,can give the songs on mp3 to millions people.It was the case with THE GREAT COUNTRY SINGER Charlie Pride-If fact i understood that the protection on this record was to protect Napster users from such a ####-
In Austria was not any protection,so someone put it on Napster.Having a very fair income i will not mind to buy some protected cds only to put them on p2p softwares.I do not know of music i like on protected cds.In fact 90% of the many many records i buy come from alternative,indee labels,and vinyl
I do miss a softwareNext Pagene to make mp3 from any source,with an automatic setting.Like on the not so good stereo system.You click on play/record and you made a cassette without any mess.Anyone on this?

KING
Do you buy "reel cds" from mp3.com or mp3 download?How is the service?In fact you give money to Universal ,like this they can spend more on protection.This is a joke,but i really would like to know about the service

listening to Jerry LEE Lewis -Killer-The Mercury years vol1-On a non protected double lp

TJZJ

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2002, 06:56:23 am »

There was a recent court ruling which allows Napster to sue the major record labels for unfair competition in Musicnet and Pressplay. This could be good news as it will pave the way for all digital media in the future.

TJZJ

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2002, 07:14:23 am »

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2002, 09:14:59 am »

That story is a year old. Goes back to JimH's attempt to get the Gang of 5 to understand what the public wants/will pay for. Obviously, did about as much good as King Canute halting the tides.

HTH
Pages: [1]   Go Up