INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting in Theater view  (Read 7675 times)

harlington

• Junior Woodchuck
Sorting in Theater view
« on: February 27, 2014, 09:17:46 am »

Hi all,
In theater view, Currently I have it set up where I click on Genre, it shows my 4 types of movies: HD, 3D, Kids, and Music Video.  When clicking on one of the four for example HD, It opens up all the movies I tagged as HD genre but the movies are listed in alphabetical order.  What I like to have is an option here  within my HD movie type where I can sort either by date imported from newest to oldest or movie year, etc...  Is that possible?  If so, please show me how.  Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sorting in Theater view
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 09:29:31 am »

You can make two different Views with each having the sorting you'd like.  Check out my movie here (which I really need to go back and re-do to add sound, but it should help you get the idea):
https://vimeo.com/80925331
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

harlington

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:54:05 am »

Thanks but what I would like to have is to have a 'sort by' button within one of my four movie types to sort movies by imported date, movie year, movie name and movie genre from IMDB/rotten tomato, etc... Is that even possible?

connersw

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 12:45:28 pm »

You can not add a "sort by" button, but you can Nest sorting options under each type of movie Library Item.  This will not add an additional roller, but will give you folder icons under each Library Item that you can go into.

For example:

HD
    Alphabetical
    Date Imported
    Genre
    Year
3D
    Alphabetical
    Date Imported
    Genre
    Year

Or what you might find easier is to do the sorting first, then break down the types within each one:

Alphabetical
    HD
    3D
    Kids
    Music Videos
Newest
    HD
    3D
    Kids
    Music Videos

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 12:48:56 pm »

Watch the whole movie above.

harlington

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 03:09:39 pm »

You can not add a "sort by" button, but you can Nest sorting options under each type of movie Library Item.  This will not add an additional roller, but will give you folder icons under each Library Item that you can go into.

For example:

HD
    Alphabetical
    Date Imported
    Genre
    Year
3D
    Alphabetical
    Date Imported
    Genre
    Year

Or what you might find easier is to do the sorting first, then break down the types within each one:

Alphabetical
    HD
    3D
    Kids
    Music Videos
Newest
    HD
    3D
    Kids
    Music Videos

That is how I want.  Being brand new to jriver, can you type a few steps to help me achieving this? Thanks

connersw

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 06:43:11 pm »

For this example, I used the Comment Field to distinguish the different movie types.  In your first post, you mentioned you were using Genre; however, I would recommend against that.  1) Even though Genre is a rather arbitrary Field in Audio, I find it to be an extremely useful sorting Field within Video.  2) Genre is an auto-fill Field from TMDB using MC's scraper.  The Comment Field is typically left empty for Movies, so I think it makes a better location for your types. 

1. Tools -> Options -> Theater View -> Items To Show -> Right Click on Movies -> Add -> Library Item
2. Do this 4-times in a row.
3. Uncheck Display 'All' as a choice for all four.
4. In Details for each one, Name them HD, 3D, Kids, and Music Video.
5. Click on HD -> Set rules for file display... -> Add New Rule -> 1. Comment 2. is 3. HD
6. Repeat step 5 for 3D, Kids, and Music Video.

7. Right Click on HD Add -> Library Item
8. Do this 4-times in a row.
9. Uncheck Display 'All' as a choice for all four.
10. In Details for each one, Name them Alphabetical, Genre, Newest, Year
11. Click on Genre -> Add -> Library field -> Genre
12. Click on Newest -> Set rules for file display... -> Modify Results -> Sort by -> Add... -> Z-A -> Date Imported
13. Click on Year -> Set rules for file display... -> Modify Results -> Sort by -> Add... -> Z-A -> Date
14. Repeat steps 7-13 for 3D, Kids, and Music Video.

Pro Tip:  Create and maintain these views in Standard View so that you can quickly Add -> Library Item From Standard View to Theater View, Customize views for Gizo & WebGizmo, and Add or configure DLNA servers -> Customize views. 
Bonus Tip:  If you create the 4-sorting groups in Standard View, you can add them under the movie types without having to recreate them each time.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 07:49:22 pm »

Thanks, connersw.

harlington

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 09:38:59 pm »

For this example, I used the Comment Field to distinguish the different movie types.   ...
thanks so much for your time typing the detail and screenshot. Exactly what I am looking for. This is awesome, I am loving it. One last request if possible is to make those Newest, Genre, Year, and Alphabetical folders with some kind of custom picture icons instead of just being plain folder icons. Possible?  Thanks.

connersw

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 05:32:53 am »

Sorry, no.  You could customize the skin with a different folder icon, but there would be no way to make it distinguishable between your sorting categories.  At least that I know of.

It would be possible to do it with a browser based front end.  See:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85292.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86411.0

Implementing mhwlng's web app would be a fairly advanced user endeavor though.  Customizing it to your own view scheme, even more so.  

I wonder if there would be interest from others in creating a Genre folder in AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 19\Cover Art that MC could pull from?  Possible Hendrik?

connersw

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 09:19:54 am »

After a little thought, there is a trick that would work if you wanted to do your sorting in the roller, then break out your types.  Like this:

Alphabetical
    HD
    3D
    Kids
    Music Videos
Newest
    HD
    3D
    Kids
    Music Videos

Now, put you types (HD, 3D, Kids, and Music Video) in the Series Field instead of Comments.  Again, this Field typically is not used, and it is not scraped.  Some people do manually use it, for example to group all Star Wars movies.  If that is the case, you could also use the Season Field (same principle).

Take whatever images you want to use, and save them in C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 19\Cover Art\Series.  Name them appropriately HD, 3D, Kids, and Music Video.

Then follow these instructions:

1. Tools -> Options -> Theater View -> Items To Show -> Right Click on Movies -> Add -> Library Item
2. Do this 4-times in a row.
3. Uncheck Display 'All' as a choice for all four.
4. In Details for each one, Name them Alphabetical, Genre, Newest, Year.
5. For each one Add... -> Library Field -> Series
6. Click on Genre, also Add... -> Library Field -> Genre
7. Click on Newest -> Set rules for file display... -> Modify Results -> Sort by -> Add... -> Z-A -> Date Imported
8. Click on Year -> Set rules for file display... -> Modify Results -> Sort by -> Add... -> Z-A -> Date

harlington

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 09:29:36 am »

^^ Again, thanks so much.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 10:14:28 am »

If I were you, I'd strongly consider modifying the top-level Video view in the hierarchy to be a Secondary Roller type.  This gives you an additional level of views under Video, where you can select "type".

Mine are arranged like so:

Video
- Television
- Movies
- Documentaries
- New Video
- Home Videos

Which results in:

Those second tier views, just have filters that limit which [Media Sub Type] are contained within (or, in the case of New Video and Documentaries, other characteristics), defined via their Set rules for file display setting.

Click to embiggen.

Click to embiggen.

Then, the third tier down will be available in the secondary roller once you open up one of these second-tier views.  I use this level to select different "sortings and filterings".  This allows you to quickly and intuitively navigate to the "type" of video you want, and you are immediately presented with files to choose from (it doesn't make you "pick" something else, it gives you files quickly), but if you want to, you can change the sorting or filtering using the Secondary Roller.

So, underneath my Movies view, I have these options:

I can choose to view them by Name:

The Name category added here has a Grouping Size of 2, so it shows up with A-B, C-D, E-F, etc in the view.

If you don't add any Categories at all to a particular Roller View (useful if it is already pre-filtered and sorted with "likely" choices on top), then it will show you the files immediately.  I do this with my New Movies View (and the similar New TV Shows views and other similar ones available in each section)...

Or by Genre, or filtered to just show the most recent 6 months of new Movies, etc.  And all of these are easy to access.  Best, it remembers whatever one you last used, so your "most popular" choice in this menu level is immediately accessible and usable.  It doesn't "force you" to choose subcategories via the folders, but lets you change sortings easily.  But, you can easily change the "sorting or filtering" with that Secondary Roller.

I've found this to be intuitive for my Wife's (and visitor's) usage.  They pick Television, and it is probably already "right" for what they want, because what it gets "left on" is the most commonly used choice.  It speeds navigation, and doesn't force them to choose between arbitrary categories.

But, if you wanted to make a view that shows only HD movies, or whatever, you can, just add an additional Secondary Roller (third-level) View.

I tried a setup something similar to what connersw recommended before, and I found it was too annoying to always have to navigate through those folders, when often you don't want or need them.  And, if you do need them for a particular category, that's okay.  You can still add a Fourth Level, and then you'll get those folders for that particular view item.

In fact, some of my views do make more sense as folders, instead of secondary rollers.  One example is in my Music setup, I have a set of "Mixes".  These are like Smartlists (shuffles, built on selected Genres and then run through Play Doctor).  But I have them set up in Theater View as Views so that I can browse them from within the Audio section of Theater View.  In any case, I want these to show up as folders, not Secondary Rollers, so I just add a "dummy level" to the view Setup:

This "level" doesn't actually do anything or add any filters, it is just a "container" for the mix folders below.

There are lots of possible combinations.  But try to keep it "quick" and accessible, and you'll probably end up happier.  Browsing in Theater View with a remote (or touchscreen) is VERY different from using Standard View.  In Standard View, with panes, it is often most useful to break the big library down quickly into manageable hunks to find what you want.

In Theater View, it works best to have pre-defined, most-commonly-used filters, since the alternative forces you to walk large trees of views every time you want to find anything.

Pages: [1]   Go Up