INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wav file white noise at end of each tracks when played on Sony BDP-S590  (Read 22487 times)

Carcajou

• Recent member

Bonjour,

Up to now, I have ripped 500Gb+ of Cd's into wav file in MC 17.0.186. The rips are stored as wav files on a NAS. I play the music through the Pioneer N50 DLNA Network Media Player (Cat 5 ethernet connexion) and I control JRiver and the Pioneer N50 on an entry level Android tablet with Gizmo. The playback is flawless ALL the time with absolutely no hiccups in operation.

To take advantage of the DLNA services, I added to the system a Sony BDP S590 DLNA Blue ray player to act as DLNA renderer for music in another room.

This is the issue: When I play my wav files through the Sony BDP S590, a short but very annoying and loud burst of white noise is heard at the end of each tracks (the Pioneer N50 has never played that white noise).  Research in this Interact site mentioned that the wav file tagging is enabled by default in MC 17 and that is can be toggled off. So I did a test a by ripping a CD with the wav file tagging plug in disabled - Bingo! the white noise at end of each track is gone.

The question:  Is there a way to "globally" remove the wav file tagging that is embedded into 500Gb of files in the MC17 library without having to rip everything again? Or is there another solution?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: wav file white noise at end of each tracks when played on Sony BDP-S590
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 04:08:11 pm »

Bonjour,

Up to now, I have ripped 500Gb+ of Cd's into wav file in MC 17.0.186. The rips are stored as wav files on a NAS. I play the music through the Pioneer N50 DLNA Network Media Player (Cat 5 ethernet connexion) and I control JRiver and the Pioneer N50 on an entry level Android tablet with Gizmo. The playback is flawless ALL the time with absolutely no hiccups in operation.

To take advantage of the DLNA services, I added to the system a Sony BDP S590 DLNA Blue ray player to act as DLNA renderer for music in another room.

This is the issue: When I play my wav files through the Sony BDP S590, a short but very annoying and loud burst of white noise is heard at the end of each tracks (the Pioneer N50 has never played that white noise).  Research in this Interact site mentioned that the wav file tagging is enabled by default in MC 17 and that is can be toggled off. So I did a test a by ripping a CD with the wav file tagging plug in disabled - Bingo! the white noise at end of each track is gone.

The question:  Is there a way to "globally" remove the wav file tagging that is embedded into 500Gb of files in the MC17 library without having to rip everything again? Or is there another solution?
Try changing MC's DLNA server setting to "Always Convert" and pick one of the wav formats or the headerless L16.
It's not really converting it, in the case of L16, just byte swapping and I think that "conversion" should strip off the wav tag.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 04:10:07 pm »

You might enable conversion in MC's DLNA settings and have the program always convert to PCM.

Since your source files are PCM, there won't really be conversion happening.  But it will cause Media Center to not send the tags to the device, which will probably fix the issue.

You might also report the bug to Sony, because playing past the DATA chunk length specified in the WAV file header is a no-no.

[Double-post -- Bob is faster than me.]
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Carcajou

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 07:30:55 am »

The white noise issue at end of each tracks is GONE. Matt and Bob, thanks, you have directed me in the right direction - To achieve this I have configured two DLNA servers. One specific to the Pioneer N50 (never convert - uncompressed) to keep it running as before and one specific to the Sony S590 (always convert - uncompressed). I have associated each DLNA players to these specific DLNA servers. Now on the Sony S590, track changes is normal without the white noise at end of each tracks.  Thanks to both of your for your valuable help. As you suggest, I will report this situation to Sony. Regards

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 07:42:45 pm »

As a note for anyone later having the same white noise at the end of a track with a first gen WDTV Live, that has the same problem and the response from WD was not positive when I raised the issue. Even gave them the standards :-(

Did not consider this workaround, I just setup a WDTV DLNA and set it to MP3, But I like this option much better as I can keep the music lossless

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 09:05:17 am »

As a note for anyone later having the same white noise at the end of a track with a first gen WDTV Live, that has the same problem and the response from WD was not positive when I raised the issue. Even gave them the standards :-(

In case anyone is interested, a technical note about wav & aif files: such files comprise linear pcm audio data sandwiched between a so called RIFF header at the start, and the ID3v2 tag data / album art at the end. As horse says, the WAV and AIF formats are well and publicly documented.

If you hear a click at the start of a track, it means the player tried to convert the RIFF header into sound, and if you hear white noise at the end, it means the player tried to convert the tags and album art into sound.

If your player outputs such clicks or white noise, this is fundamentally unacceptable from any self respecting manufacturer. It is simply shoddy programming, and shows that the programmers were too lazy to read or implement the most basic of specs. I would guess their test procedure was something like "yeah buddy there's sound coming out; ok that's fine then..." => So you should definitely give WD (and any other player manufacturer) hell for responding in such a patronising way.

PS the good news is that if you set MC to do Always Convert / L16 No header, it strips the RIFF header from the start and the tags & album art from the end, and simply feeds the remaining intervening pcm audio data straight to your player unmolested. (In the case of wav just swapping the byte order).

=> Hats off to the MC team who do things properly!!

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

mikemcsw

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: wav file white noise between tracks when played on Sony BDP-S590 & S790
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 10:48:59 pm »

Modified subject to add S790 also
For clarification of steps to perform to get rid of noise between tracks:

1.  Click TOOLS | Options
2.  In the left pane, click Media Network
3.  In the right pane, click Add or configure DLNA Servers
4.  Select your DLNA Server
5.   Under the audio section, select Mode:Specified output format and PCM L16 No header
Pages: [1]   Go Up