INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workarounds for encrypted TV?  (Read 1097 times)

Hometownwesty

• Recent member
Workarounds for encrypted TV?
« on: January 22, 2014, 07:40:37 am »

I’m still in the middle of evaluating JRiver and how I can tweek it to fulfill my needs.
Music-wise it appears to be excellent, but TV functionality seems to be a disappointment (as has been noted by others as well).
From what I understand I would not be able to watch pay-TV in the form of encrypted channels (namely Sky, for the Europeans).
Is there any functional and practical way around this? So far my smartest idea seems to be recording encrypted content with Mediaportal or the likes, and then playing back those recordings through JRiver?
This seems to be functional, but not very practical, as I’ll lose the ability to watch live TV.

As far as I know Mediaportal can also act as server, streaming content through the network. Could JRiver pick this stream up or be used as a client? I’m afraid the answer is “no”, as MP seems to need a matching MP-client, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Lastly would it be possible to use the Sky-STB and run it through my htpc and JRiver? Or could Mediaportal’s output be somehow “inputted” into JRiver, be it internally, or externally by some form of capture card?

The plan was to build a JRiver-htpc for the living room and do away with all other devices (except for an amp and TV, of course), but the TV-issue seems to become a deal breaker.
So any input is highly appreciated.

Hometownwesty

• Recent member
Re: Workarounds for encrypted TV?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 01:06:32 pm »

After some more reading I guess my best bet would be Hauppauge Colossus or blackmagic capture card, along with some smart programming of my remote.  Not very satisfying, but obviously the only way to go.
I'll let you know how it works, should I decide to go that route.
But to be honest, right now this is very close to becoming a deal breaker as I'll be sinking a reasonable amount in hardware and software, and feel the result won't be near where it should be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up