INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motherboard without audio or SPDIF, need digital output  (Read 10557 times)

Barbapapa

• Recent member
Motherboard without audio or SPDIF, need digital output
« on: January 23, 2014, 05:57:36 am »

I'm building a workstation using a server MB that doesn't have any audio provisions or SPDIF. It's an Asrock H87WS-DL http://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=H87WS-DL
I need to send a digital signal to my Onkyo TX-NR900.

Did I make a mistake in not choosing the MB that has SPDIF and audio? I could exchange it for one that does or is there a better solution anyway?

The version with the audio is H87WSA-DLhttp://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=H87WSA-DL

My goal is high quality stereo music only, no multi stuff for movies etc.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Motherboard without audio or SPDIF, need digital output
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 07:23:45 am »

So this is the beast you've got for driving your audio, huh?
http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/product_info/pdf/tx-nr900_leaflet.pdf

You could pick up a USB DAC as one option but if you can exchange the server MoBo for a board with SPDIF out, then that would cut out the middleman. I'm a minimalist myself (Occam's razor has worked pretty well for me so far). I'm sure there are others out there with sharper minds that might see a sensible and cost effective work around. I'm just a simple user.

For my set up, digital audio/video travels out of the MoBo via HDMI and into my amp. The amp then splits the audio and feeds it into the amp/DAC and passes the video through and on to the monitor / TV. Minimal handling and the audio stays in the digital domain for pre-amp and amp'ing. Ehhh, who cares? It's the sound that matters and works for me.

All the best with getting your rig set up to pump your fave tunes.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Barbapapa

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:33:47 am »

So this is the beast you've got for driving your audio, huh?
http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/product_info/pdf/tx-nr900_leaflet.pdf

Yes, all that for enjoying my music. I assume the Onkyo's DAC is good and the thing to do is deliver digital signal to it.

Using SPDIF on a MB would be simple but I have this nagging feeling that the 'middleman' of a USB converter might have some kind of audio advantage I'm too ignorant to understand.

Thank you!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 02:35:36 pm »

I'd get a DAC (though I'm not the right person to advise "which" DAC but there are a few threads on this board) as it could be more flexible than SPDIF pending the number of channels/format you may want.  Like all technologies, I'm sure the quality of DACs have improved over the years (and the price come down) compared to the Onkyo
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 02:46:39 pm »

I'd get a DAC (though I'm not the right person to advise "which" DAC but there are a few threads on this board) as it could be more flexible than SPDIF pending the number of channels/format you may want.  Like all technologies, I'm sure the quality of DACs have improved over the years (and the price come down) compared to the Onkyo

Good point - S/PDIF is a little dated and has its shortcomings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=S/PDIF#Hardware_specifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=S/PDIF#Limitations
but according to this:
My goal is high quality stereo music only, no multi stuff for movies etc.
2 channels is fine, so S/PDIF is acceptable on that score.

Plenty of ways to skin the cat.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 02:57:41 pm »

Good point
JRiver CEO Elect

Barbapapa

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 04:04:53 pm »

I'm surprised to hear SPDIF is lacking, is it the clocking that's a concern?
In my case I'd use something like an M2Tech Hiface which I assume handles clocking.

BTW, there are no MBs like mine but with SPDIF in stock after all.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 04:12:00 pm »

It is only "lacking" in that it can only carry up to 2ch of PCM, or DTS/DD.  So no 5.1 PCM, DTS-HD, Tru-HD etc etc.
JRiver CEO Elect

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 04:55:05 pm »

You can use a USB to SPDIF converter. Asus makes one that is $30 after the mail in rebate at newegg. The prices on a USB converters range from about $30 to $5000!

Bel Canto Design is just down (or up  :)) the street from JRiver in Minneapolis. They carry USB to SPDIF converters for the audiophile with the cheapest being the MLink which you can find for $188.

There are lots of other ones including pro audio audio devices that also have SPDIF output.

Barbapapa

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 04:56:12 pm »

It is only "lacking" in that it can only carry up to 2ch of PCM, or DTS/DD.  So no 5.1 PCM, DTS-HD, Tru-HD etc etc.

That must explain why audiophiles seem to use USB-SPDIF converters a lot.

Barbapapa

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 05:03:56 pm »

Bel Canto Design is just down (or up  :)) the street from JRiver in Minneapolis. They carry USB to SPDIF converters for the audiophile with the cheapest being the MLink which you can find for $188.

Thanks for that. It's comparable to the m2tech in price, not being a one piece thing poking out of a USB port is nice.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 11:46:11 pm »

Interest piqued, I found this:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/07/when-should-you-use-an-external-usb-spdif-converter/
Reads reasonably to me. Maybe it will be of some help.

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 08:22:07 pm »

Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

Barbapapa

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 07:07:31 pm »

Some usb dacs like the EMU 0404 are said to have great sound qualities but are plaqued by driver issues that really ruins what could be a great product. The usb interface seems like a crap shoot, at least with that one.

Does a usb port used as an audio out need all the conductors or could some of them be cut for a more reliable output to the external converter?

pcstockton

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 09:38:29 pm »

grab a Musical Fidelity VLink-192 while they last!

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Barbapapa

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 02:40:20 am »

grab a Musical Fidelity VLink-192 while they last!

-Patrick

That seems like a good unit that's really underpriced from it's initial retail price for some reason. Thank you.

Let me answer my own silly question from 2 posts up: USB uses back and forth communication so no elimination unused connectors is going to help ::). Maybe using usb devices that aren't well known to cause conflicts might be a better approach. :)

Barbapapa

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 06:39:47 pm »

I've been listening with my new VLink-192 and am happy. I now have a stable 'puter with sound being handled by usb and the music sounds great!

pcstockton

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 06:51:56 pm »

Glad you like it.  It's a great little box.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva
Pages: [1]   Go Up