INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Videos capped at 30 fps instead of allowing 60fps?  (Read 1496 times)

jcisbig

• Recent member
Videos capped at 30 fps instead of allowing 60fps?
« on: February 03, 2014, 02:37:25 pm »

Hey Guys,

When playing video files in MC19 the frame rate seems capped to 30fps (according to my Fraps software).  I know that certain video files I have are 60fps.  Any ideas on how I can get those videos to play in their native 60fps?

Thanks!

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Videos capped at 30 fps instead of allowing 60fps?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 02:40:37 pm »

Don't trust Fraps, tbh. It cannot really measure it accurately with video rendering.

If you use RO HQ for playback, you can use the Ctrl-J shortcut to show a informational OSD, which will tell you if any frames are being dropped - if not, all 60 are rendered.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jcisbig

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:12:07 pm »

It looks like some frames are being dropped.  One video in particular said that there were 12 frames not being rendered.

Interesting.

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 11:33:51 pm »

You will always drop some frames overall just due to the overhead it takes to start up the video, and from going in and out of fullscreen exclusive mode. You might have noticed that your videos stutter a bit when they very first start playing. So it's OK if you see a number > zero. What you want to look for is if that number is increasing while you watch it. If it stays steady while you watch it, you're fine.

Another way to think of it, is that at 60 fps (or 60 frames per 1000 milliseconds), you need to render a frame, on average, no more than every 16.67 milliseconds to keep up the pace. The MadVR OSD will also show you the average rendering time. Watch those numbers too. If they add up to less than 16.67 ms, again, you're fine. If the rendering time is over 16.67, you will likely see the dropped frames counter increasing.

Understand what you can from the MadVR OSD. It gives lots of very very helpful info.
Pages: [1]   Go Up