INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fix broken links option in Auto-Import broken?  (Read 1285 times)

pahunt

• World Citizen
Fix broken links option in Auto-Import broken?
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:00:01 am »

Hi,

I'm wondering if the Fix broken links option in Auto-Import is broken.

First of all let me explain my setup. I have Media Center 19.0.108 running on a Win 7 box and with most of my media files on a Netgear NAS box and these files are referenced in my Media Center library by their UNC path and not by a mapped drive. I have auto-import configured to scan multiple folders on the NAS box and the Fix broken links option is set to "Yes - protect files on missing drives".

Today I had a very brief power outage that wasn't enough to switch off the Win 7 box but did shutdown my NAS, however I didn't realise that straight away. An hour or so later I opened up Media Center and found that all the media files that are on the NAS box were no longer in my library. Having read the wiki page below my understanding is that the files shouldn't have been removed.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Fix_broken_links_-_What_is_%22Protect_Network_Files%22%3F

For the moment I have changed the Fix broken links option to "No" but I wanted to raise this anyway in case it is a bug.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Fix broken links option in Auto-Import broken?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 12:20:47 pm »

I'll go out on a limb and say it is probably not clear to anyone that can answer right now how the Protect feature actually works, with clarity.  First, it is an intractable problem, for which some reasonable heuristics are being applied (it aims to do the "right thing").  Second, it aims to be simple (a setting), but might require some more complexity to work more reliably for some situations.

I think some folks with your type of setup just disable the feature.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 01:35:54 pm »

Agreed, MrC.  However, I do think there are some reasonable improvements that can be made here.  I'm too busy to comment right now, but I will try to come back.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 02:01:56 pm »

Thanks for the replies, I didn't really expect a magic bullet solution to be honest but I thought I'd flag it up in case something had been broken recently. Anyway the problem for me is resolved and I can at least confirm that the automatic backup and the restore library functions are working nicely  :)

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 02:51:14 pm »

I'm glad, and expected, that glynor would have good advice and guidance.  I no longer have anywhere near as complex a setup as many folks here have, so just don't have the first hand experience to reply more definitively.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up