INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library cleaner required - Suggestions?  (Read 1651 times)

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
Library cleaner required - Suggestions?
« on: January 29, 2014, 11:05:23 am »

i've finally pried my music library out of the destructive, greedy hands of iTunes.  The library, however, is still i-mangled.

The first track of many albums has been stripped from the album that the song belongs with and placed into a "various artists" folder that has no linkage to any source. 
The first track of some albums has been replaced with the first track of others (seemingly at random). For example, a Joe Cocker song now shows up as track one of a Bruce Springsteen album.  Album artwork has been i-randomized.

I need a software repair tool that can link to the internet database, identify the songs that are SUPPOSED to be with a specific album, collect them into the correct folder, and resort the artwork.

I'm running the latest JRiver 19 for Windows.  If it makes any difference, all files are currently in AIFF format (uncompressed).

I --- could --- discard the entire 2-terrabytes of music and start over with re-ripping, but I'd prefer not to waste the time if possible.  What recommendations can you make?

Thanks - Boomzilla

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Library cleaner required - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 11:51:02 am »

Do your folder names reflect the Album and / or Artist?  If so, you can use Fill Properties from Filename to help fix up your albums.

As far as botched track names, this is going to be more challenging.  How many albums do you have?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 02:23:25 pm »

I have two terabytes of music.  Generally, the album names remain, but I'll have only tracks 2, 7, and 9 for example.  The other tracks (usually) are still on the drive, but attached to other albums.  In many cases, iTunes just deleted songs or albums without notifying me.  Note that in these cases, the songs and albums are not just unindexed - they're completely gone from the drive.

The best advice I've received so far is to make a list of albums that are complete and undamaged.  Move them to a separate folder.

Use dbPoweramp to see what of the remainder can be pieced back together.

Whatever didn't get fixed then needs to be deleted & re-ripped.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 02:32:57 pm »

Once you import your music into MC, check the Complete Album tag.  It should generally be a 1 for albums that are complete.

You didn't say if your album folders follow any pattern.

You don't need to move any files.  You can just use the Complete Album tag to help group and sort your albums.

If your track names are botched, then an external tool will be required.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 03:45:38 pm »

As far as recommendations for external tools go, I like Musicbrainz Picard or Jaikoz for this type of thing. They both use Musicbrainz database to match the files audio to its meta-data. Picard is free and works pretty well, so I would start there. You can drag and drop to both of the apps from MC, so combining one of these with MrC's process works very well with minimal effort.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 01:09:22 am »

As far as recommendations for external tools go, I like Musicbrainz Picard or Jaikoz for this type of thing. They both use Musicbrainz database to match the files audio to its meta-data. Picard is free and works pretty well, so I would start there. You can drag and drop to both of the apps from MC, so combining one of these with MrC's process works very well with minimal effort.

This, for fixing the botched names instead of reripping.

I saved many albums that way that we ripped during our short-lived OS X period.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 02:52:58 am »

What is the folder structure for your tracks?
While iTunes does a lot of things I dislike, it should have been putting them into a decent directory structure, that you could use the "Fill properties from filename" tool with?

Boomzilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 01:30:41 pm »

What is the folder structure for your tracks?  While iTunes does a lot of things I dislike, it should have been putting them into a decent directory structure, that you could use the "Fill properties from filename" tool with?

I manually cleaned up the directory structure prior to importing the library into JRiver.  The few directories that I moved are NOT the ones with any problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up