INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to successfully pass the bitperfect 24/96 test on audiolab mdac  (Read 5678 times)

panoramix

hello and thanks in advance
as stated in the title of the post, i have issues while listening hiress files to my mdac.
in particular, i get a lot of tics. like one each 3 seconds. in 16/44.1 i have no issue at all.
my hardware shouldnt be the issues since im running with 1150 i3 processor with 8gb of ram and via ssd. the usb cable i use to connect my dac with the pc is a 0,75m long audioquest carbon.
I have set up jriver as follows:

audio device audiolab mdac wasapi
under device settings i ve enabled exclusive access, disabled event style, maximized volume during playback, 24bit integer and i use a buffer of 100msecs as recommended.
i also have set files to be played from memory instead of disc.

so far i ve tried messin with every one of these settings but none seems to solve the issue.

recently i had a mobo crash. as soon as i got the new one i turned jriver on and saw there was an update. i did apply it on the pc thus im currently running 19.0.108 version of jriver.

im not sure but i think before the mobo crash and the update i didnt have that issue
i never actually ran the bitperfect test but i cant recall having playback issues before the update.

Any one knows what i should do? ?

thanks in advance and keep up the good work.

btw i had no issue whatsoever with 24/88.2-96 using foobar but i really enjoy JRiver sound and abilities such as theater view etc much more. foobar is currently uninstalled from my pc. should i install it see if it still plays hires files ok?

panoramix

Re: Unable to successfully pass the bitperfect 24/96 test on audiolab mdac
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 07:56:41 am »

ok, just installed foobar and there seems to be no issue with hires playback when i use that player. So it is not a hardware issue.
any idea on what i might have done wrong on jriver setup?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:39:26 am »

ok, just installed foobar and there seems to be no issue with hires playback when i use that player. So it is not a hardware issue.
any idea on what i might have done wrong on jriver setup?

You should first try enabling event style because it generally improves stuttering. From the Wiki: "Some devices (most commonly USB DAC's) will start stuttering during playback when using WASAPI. This is due to a bug in Microsoft's WASAPI system itself, or in the stock Microsoft driver, where the circling buffers get out of order. Stopping and restarting playback is required to reset the stuttering. Using WASAPI - Event Style will fix this problem." http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WASAPI

Memory playback also sometimes causes playback strangeness, so I'd suggest turning it off as well while trouble shooting.

If making those changes doesn't help, you might try experimenting with different buffer settings (try both larger and smaller), or different output settings (try direct sound as a troubleshooting step) to see where the problem is exactly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 09:21:55 am »

Event Style is the default for WASAPI now.  You could also try disabling it.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 09:42:06 am »

Event Style is the default for WASAPI now.  You could also try disabling it.

I may have misread, but I understood his initial post as saying he had deliberately disabled event style.  You're right though, either way it is currently set (whether on or off), toggling it could help.

panoramix

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 09:47:39 am »

yes everything sounds ok now. its been so simple all along. Basically i think i got paniced.  thank you for the aid. With event stlyle on everything works fine. And i was under the impression i had it checked out... seems i havent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up