INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musician Tagging  (Read 2195 times)

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
Musician Tagging
« on: January 30, 2014, 06:32:06 pm »

Just curious what tag field do you use for the musicians that played on a track. I have been putting it in "notes" because it is one of the few that has a large enough field. However, it is not a searchable field, so that kinda kills it's usefulness. Also, I would like to use the 'note' field for...notes.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Musician Tagging
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 07:08:40 pm »

I've created some list user fields, such as Featuring, and other folks have used Guest Artists, Musicians, People, etc.  So long as it a list field, you can add semicolon delimited people.  This is often done like:

Joe [Drums]; Jim [Piano]; Sally [Bongos]

All the scripts I've written to grab from online databases present multiple people/roles this way, and can be configured to select the user's field of choice.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

cinjin

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 01:20:12 am »

I've been using musicbrainz picard tagger to fill the performer tag. It does a pretty good job of it. An example is for Oasis Rock and Roll Star

Paul McGuigan (bass guitar); Tony McCarroll (drums); Paul Arthurs (guitar); Liam Gallagher (vocal); Noel Gallagher (background vocals vocal); Noel Gallagher (guitars)

It's pretty complete and fills the performer tag for flac files.

gappie

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:51:12 am »

like MrC says, you can make your own list field. I use the standard keywords field, and prefer to use nested values, like.

Jonathan Finlayson\Trumpet; Jon Irabagon\Alto Saxophone; Mary Halvorson\Guitar; John Hébert\Bass; Ches Smith\Drums

I use nested values ( the \ before the instrument) because this will group the musician to one entry in pane views. so you get one John Coltrane, and then you could unfold the entry to see where he plays tenor or soprano or alt sax.

:)
gab

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 03:22:15 pm »

Thanks for the info. I have not used scripts before. It sounds like that would be quite helpful. I am trying to get musicians, producer, and lyrics tags onto my files and don't know how to do it other that copy and pasting them. cinjin, you mentioned Musicbrainz software, but it doesn't have those any of those fields available. How did you configure it to pull in the performer tag? Did you write a script or use a plugin?

MrC

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 04:35:53 pm »

Thanks for the info. I have not used scripts before. It sounds like that would be quite helpful. I am trying to get musicians, producer, and lyrics tags onto my files

You're welcome, on everyone's behalf.

See the following scripts:

Discogs
   AMG

Either will allow you to configure how data will be mapped to your fields.  The latter allows mapping of credits in customizable ways; the former will too shortly.

cinjin

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 02:51:12 am »

I do use the last.fm plugin for genres, decades and occasions. The files you tried to tag, did the albums themselves have the performers fully tagged. What I mean is when you go to the musicbrainz site look the album up and see how complete the entry is. Chrome and firefox have userscripts that will automatically open mb picard from the website so find a popular album in your collection and look it up musicbrainz. Hopefully the online entry is complete and click on the tagger button. That "tagged" version will show up on the right side. Here is a Oasis Rock n roll star with the tags in musicbrainz. Most of my library is in FLAC so I'm not quite sure if mp3 are tagged the same way.

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 02:57:56 pm »

MrC, thanks a lot for those scripts. They seem to be very useful. Not quite sure why the 'Notes' field is not populating. I also had to make a new tag for 'credits.' You had it listed as a custom field and it was a standard field, but didn't populate until I made a custom tag for it. Also the discogs script seems to only pull in the info that is on the front page, not any of the credits. Unless I am doing something wrong. Otherwise, very helpful and good thorough instructions, thanks for that too!

MrC

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 03:30:29 pm »

You're welcome.

Credits is a Video-only field, so that's why I didn't use it.  It really should be made available to audio too.  So that's why in the amg script I have it mapped by default to a field called "AMG Credits".

Notes is a "Large Value" data type in MC, and I've noticed some troubles trying to populate Large Value fields via MCWS.  I'll have to investigate further.

The AMG script supports all sorts of data, but much of that data comes from additional pages for an album.  So you'll have to decide which data you want pulled, as these pages are pulled with their corresponding fields are requested (i.e. Lyrics, Related Artists, Awards, etc.).

The Discogs script currently pulls the data I've listed on the forum post.  If you're only getting simple info w/no credits, be sure you're using a Release entry (and not the Master entry), and one that has credit info.  Examples:

Master entry:   http://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-Wall/master/11329
      Note the "m" master ID in the upper-right corner, and "master" in URL

Release entry: http://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-Wall/release/1981313
      Note the "r" release ID in the upper-right corner, and "release" in URL

And here's a release that has some track credits, where the one above does not:

http://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-The-Wall/release/2515106

I'm happy to grab additional data; just let me know what kinds of stuff you're interested in.

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 11:38:01 am »

Everything is working really well. The only problem I am having is when using the AMG script, it leaves off the last track. No idea why, but seems to happen every time.

MrC

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 11:50:00 am »

Oh, interesting.  Maybe a bug!

In the thread for the amg script, can you post the AMG URL, your command line, and a text file that contains your clipboard after you've selected the tracks in the affected album and pressed Copy (Ctrl-C).

stevem87

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 12:35:20 pm »

Done, thanks,
Pages: [1]   Go Up