INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HD DVD won't play  (Read 1768 times)

anmg

• Recent member
HD DVD won't play
« on: February 06, 2014, 06:40:55 pm »

I ripped my first hd dvd to an iso file using Anydvd Hd.  I'm trying to play it using TMT 6.5 and JRiver 19. Not able to play it. If I double click an iso blu ray it will play perfectly in TMT.  Blu rays also play in JRiver.  No luck with the hd dvd.  I can't even get JRiver to import the movie.  Any help would be appreciated.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: HD DVD won't play
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 06:45:52 pm »

Ahhh it brings back memories!  I think you are out of luck to get it to play automatically as this format is now dead.  I've long since converted (or repurchased) all mine in Blu.  If you navigate to the HVDVD_TS folder you will see a series of EVO files and the larget ones will hold the main movie.  You can play these directly in MC but it is likely the content is split over two or move EVO's.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:47:12 pm »

Here is the thread on how to convert them to Blu-ray. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=65442.0
JRiver CEO Elect

anmg

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 07:08:35 pm »

Thanks Nathan for the quick reply.  I guess I need to download Clown BD to get this going.  

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 08:17:16 pm »

No probs - The other option is to convert them to Files (say MKV) if you don't need physical disks.
JRiver CEO Elect

anmg

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 10:01:43 pm »

I don't need disks.  I just want to play the files from my hdd. Do you have a procedure to convert them to mkv? Does that make more sense than to blu?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:55:59 am »

Using that guide it will create an unencrypted BD Structure on your HDD (no need to burn to a physical media) if you just uncheck the "Use ImgBurn" option and then select "Blu-Ray" instead of "Blu-Ray and Burn" (see the pics in the other thread).  The resultant BD Stucture can then be imported and played in MC just fine + you have the option of then later burning it to a physical disk if you so want.  Clown BD also lets you create a single "M2TS" file instead of a "Blu-Ray" but the downside is you will lose the chapter marks (if you care).  MC will still let you skip fwd (30sec) and back (10sec) using the arrow keys.

I did play with MakeMKV at one point but as per the other thread can not advise on the best "guide" but there are plenty out there if you search.  MKV's will let you include chapter marks.

None of these methods preserve the "Menu" and are all focused on just ripping the main movie and associated Audio, Subtitles, Chapter marks.  So if there are "extras" that you want or need then you need to create a separate conversion for them.

ClownBD is "free" (really a front end for a bunch of other tools).  Give it a go - nothing to lose!

Edit - start with a simple disk with no Forced Subs to get the hang of it (these are nice a simple to convert).
JRiver CEO Elect

anmg

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 09:33:16 am »

Thanks for all the information.  Very helpful.  I will give it a try.   :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up