INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would like to switch Mac license for Windows license  (Read 2012 times)

jeromethelia

Would like to switch Mac license for Windows license
« on: January 26, 2014, 07:38:16 pm »

Hi, I purchased an MC19 license for a Mac Mini but was less than satisfied with MC and OSX performance.  I've added Win7 to the same machine and MC19 runs much better.  How can I trade in my Mac license for a Windows license?  Thanks- Jerome

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Would like to switch Mac license for Windows license
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:13:34 pm »

They are different licenses and there is no exchange possible.

jeromethelia

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:50:05 am »

Great, how do I exchange my Mac license for a Windows license?  thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 02:09:20 pm »

You can't.

jeromethelia

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 10:53:48 am »

Really? That's just bad customer service policy... I'm not asking for my money back, just a simple exchange - generate a new serial number for windows and cancel the mac one.  Is there someone I can talk to about this?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:49:27 am »

We don't exchange licenses between Mac and Windows.  I'm sorry.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 02:52:15 pm »

I don't work for JRiver, but I do apologize for the difficulty.

Not only do they offer a full-featured thirty-day trial, and flexible licensing terms allowing multiple installations with a single license, but they actually essentially require you to make the purchase from within the free trial (that's the only standard way I know of to make the purchase).  So, there is essentially no way you could have bought the Mac version of MC without having first run the trial.  For this reason, if no other, they do not currently offer any refunds or exchanges.

I understand that you are upset, and I can only hope that you will stick with it, as both the Windows and the OSX versions are incredibly capable applications.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jeromethelia

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 09:56:29 am »

Thanks, that's the kind of response I would have expected from someone who works for JRiver, rather than the terse response I got that doesn't exactly sound like 'customer service'.

I'm well aware of the 30 day trial period.  I'm also aware that you can have a single license on several machines, although apparently not cross-platform.  So on the one hand JRiver acknowledges that it's customers need the flexibility to work with several different machines, but punishes us when some of those machines happen to use a different operating system?  That doesn't make any sense.

I put a lot of time into JRiver and I really like it, so it's a shame I have to have to look for an alternative that is truly flexible or at least consistent. 

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 10:30:15 am »

I feel like it wouldn't be so bad if you could at least pay upgrade prices when buying a license for another platform rather than the full price.
But at the end of the day, $50 is not a lot of money to pay for everything that Media Center offers.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 10:31:50 am »

So on the one hand JRiver acknowledges that it's customers need the flexibility to work with several different machines, but punishes us when some of those machines happen to use a different operating system?  That doesn't make any sense.

Development of Media Center for other platforms takes a lot of time and effort, which is why they are separate licenses.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up