INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Olympics Ate My Hard Drives  (Read 1323 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
The Olympics Ate My Hard Drives
« on: February 11, 2014, 07:26:13 pm »

I came home tonight to discover that my main 14TB media volume had 102MB remaining.  I set it to record all of the non-conflicting "episodes" of the Olympics across all possible channels.  It has been recording pretty much 24 hours a day since, often on 3-4 tuners simultaneously.  Oops!  Time to do some pruning!

As far as actually watching them...

I've been enjoying the events I've watched, so long as I mute it and put some music on behind it.  Otherwise, I didn't think it was possible for NBC to be even more annoying than they were with the last summer Olympics, but I think they've managed.  Critical of Russia much?  You'd think it was the mid 1980's again.

What has everyone else been doing?  It annoys me to watch them online because I can't watch them from inside MC.  But, the online ones are usually much higher quality (as far as, shut up and show the event) and they show much more of individual events (not all chopped up).  I can't wait until there is some better solution in the future.  I'm honestly hoping that Apple gets the contract next time and just does it through their Apple TV (which won't happen, but still)... That would be annoying in its own way, of course, but at least they'd probably do a better job.

Sigh...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: The Olympics Ate My Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 01:48:42 am »

The only thing I actually want to see is the Jamaicans bobbing their way down at full speed but I'm too lazy to check when that is happening (or, has happened?).

You dead?
No mon!

I don't think that's going to happen again though. I shouldn't. That would be crazy. They should actually win gold this time around. They deserve it for trying alone.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 06:40:05 pm »

The Opening Ceremony commentary was simply horrific.  Okay, it's fine when the athletes march in, to explain who they are.   But during the musical and theatrical numbers, just SU please.  Especially since Russia did an excellent job of presenting their culture and music in a short period of time.

The timezone aspect - no one's fault - is simply a crusher this time.   Oooh, you can watch live at 3:30 a.m. - gee, that's a help.

That makes it necessary to avoid Google New, Yahoo News, etc. etc. if there is an event you want to see later unspoiled (for us that is Alpine Skiing - we've even attended a World Championship in the past).

So, we've been relying on the filtering done by the Prime Time show - even though there are some automatic spoilers - for example, if anyone other than an American has a biographical feature, you know they are going to win the gold medal that night.  ;D

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 04:09:15 am »

Here's something fun to watch. American interview with the dutch speedskating coach.

http://youtu.be/xcdD9xGviXw

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 12:37:49 pm »

The commentary chatter on NBC during the closing ceremony was much less than during the opening ceremony - perhaps that is one of the benefits of social media - people always want to read "what they are saying about me", and so frequently repeated criticisms can get through...
Pages: [1]   Go Up