INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ 8.0.211 Beta Available...  (Read 6563 times)

Hvy Duty

RE:MJ 8.0.211 Beta Available...
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2002, 03:50:47 pm »

I tested MJ last night on another computer running Win Me. Loaded in 300 songs in the playlist and went to bed it was still playing when I got up I had no other programs running I turned on rambooster and it was only a 1/3 loss of memory.(There has to be something we can blame I don't know what it is yet) I was having the problems using a computer with XP. I guess I will have to test it using XP.

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2002, 05:37:36 pm »

After using multimedia keys for a while, MJ was playing in paused mode.  The track progress icon was a pause symbol, but it was moving, and music was coming out!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2002, 05:24:21 am »

Memory Leaks> Is it possible that the leak only shows up when using only one visualization plugin? The time that it lasted all day and night for me was when I had it cycling through visualizations. All the times it crashed on me since, I've had it set for one vis plugin only. I left it running on Cycle All when I left this morning, so I'll check when I get home to see if it's still running.

Can anybody else there comment on this?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2002, 07:01:19 am »

Ever since turning Track Info into a Visualization plugin, Track Info's no longer display scroll bars when they need to.

mini-me automatically shows Track Info pages instead of visualizations, even though the typical mini-me display window is too small to really show a Track Info template. Note - this is not a request to disable viewing Track Info from mini-me. This is a request for some sort of skin-specific option to either allow Track Info display, or disallow it. Any way of getting a tag added to Metamorphis?

The right click menu doesn't show up from the system tray icon when MJ is in mini-me unless it's also minimized.

LCtheDJ

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2002, 08:11:37 am »

On my laptop, checking the vis box option to not auto hide the controls will not take - the check will not stick and the auto hide continues. Does not do this with my desktop, both running Win2K.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2002, 09:55:00 am »

Selecting one of the Special Rules (~n ~t etc.) and hitting the Delete button results in the message "This rule cannot be deleted using the wizard." The same happens if I right click and choose Delete.

hvy duty

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2002, 11:39:28 am »

memory leaks
Doof
When I ran all night I had visualizations off but I assume that could cause some memory leaks. I ran again last night using the machine with XP and it was locked on the 82nd song ram booster was red I guess it couldn't keep up. MS has known about the leak problem for years I don't know why they can't fix it.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2002, 11:53:13 am »

Well, the problem with that is that XP hasn't been around for years for MS to know of a memory leak in it... Each OS, while based on previous versions, is still different enough that a memory leak in one may not exist in another.

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
  • Health problems prevent almost all activity.Manufacturing Engineer, Ret.Living
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2002, 01:15:23 pm »

Doof - I have excess memory leaks, excessive buffering, etc with one visulation. No joy in listening to. Can play the same music with NO leaks - memory stays steady as Rock of Gibralter with programs such as Windows Media Player.

Hope this comparrison helps.

Later

Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.211

CPU: Intel Pentium II 348 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 167 MB
Resource Info: System - 70 %, GDI - 85 %, User - 70 %

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4134.0600
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4704.1100
Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4134.600
Shell32.dll: 4.72.3612.1700
wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: N/A

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2002, 01:22:08 pm »

A small suggestion.  The menu entry Help->Interact only means something to someone that has visited interact before.  It would be more friendly to new users to have something like Help->Discussion Forum

Michael Horton

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2002, 01:25:14 pm »

svhost.exe in win xp causes a memory leak when interacting with certain programs. With Mcaffee background virus scan turned on, and windows task manager open, I can watch svhost.exe's memory leakage just like I used to be able to watch the needle on the gas gage of my International Scout rapidly drop toward the "E" end during city driving. During a short period, the McAffee program could easily eat up 350 MB's of memory. I tried a couple of memory managers, but neither could recoup the memory being held by the svhost.exe program. But without the McAffee virus background scan running--svhost.exe is hovering at a steady 30 MB of memory usage.

MJ seems to do this too--after playing music for a while, the music gets slower and slower. I don't know whether MJ frees up the memory when it closes--I'll have to check it out.  Does MJ use svhost.exe? If so, would running the Media Scheduler continually lead to a memory drain?

MS Word XP has the same problem but to a lesser degree. It leaked 10 MB of memory doing a spell check of the first paragraph (By leaked, I mean that the amound of memory being tied up by the program jumped 10 MB doing 1 task, and that 10 MB wasn't released when the task was completed, and in fact wasn't freed until the program was closed, so that the resources being tied up are cumulative while the program remain open.). IE 6 was at 12 MB of usage when I looked 2-3 minutes ago, but is now up to 13 mb while simply lurking in the background, slowly dripping droplets of memory, and doing nothing as I type this. When I finished that sentence IE was tying up 14.8 MB. Word does free up the memory when it closes, as does IE.  But the problem is--who wants to keep starting/stopping programs to free some memory?

I'm not sure if the memory recorded in task manager is system memory or whatever, or how that affects MJ's performance.
Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.211

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1794 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 340 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: 4.01 (978) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1996 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.01 (978)

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2002, 11:46:45 pm »

At the risk of sounding even less knowledgeable about tech issues than usual.....

Notice how many people reporting dramatic memory leaks have Adaptec's wnaspi32.dll: 4.01 installed on their system? Cld there be any relationship between these MJ performance issues and that .dll?

In earlier threads, there was extensive discussion about how Adaptec replaced the original .dll with its own, leading to other issues.

Just wondering.

HTH

redPen

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2002, 04:32:34 am »

Your program crashes everytime I try to save a visualisation using Viz Studio's File Save option.

Media Files Properties screen sometimes loses comes up not active when requesting properties on networked files.  I have to click on the Media Files Properties screen to get it back.

Trying to use Diskwriter with playback set to Crossfade (aggresive) with duration of 2.5 secs causes your program to crash at the end of the first song.  With Gapless, Diskwriter works fine.

Sometimes your program just exits after playing for a few hours.  No warning or error, just exits and leave tray icon behind.

sdcoochie

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2002, 06:06:29 am »

Now that this thread seems to mention the memory leak problem I must also agree. This has been a major problem in the last 3 or 4 builds. There really should be no buffering of a local file and very often while I am surfing and listening MJ pops and clicks away as if there is a big strain on it while surfing. This is quite annoying. I'm running Win ME with the latest build. I did not find this problem with version 7.2 but perhaps it was there to a lesser degree as some may have suggested in this post.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2002, 06:26:06 am »

I have to chime in here and say that I have never confirmed that the crashes I've been experiencing are due to a memory leak. All I know is that after an determined amount of time of playing with vis's turned on, MJ crashes.

bonnersera

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2002, 06:35:10 am »

hi,
what´s about media server? it doesn´t work, is it not included yet?
regards, darn good work, boys, great program and great developement!
bonnersera

dwex

• World Citizen
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2002, 08:03:34 am »

Trying to playback an audio CD while in mini-me mode causes MJ8 to skip through the CD tracks until it "catches" on one and starts playing there. Selecting a track in the playlist window will usually cause the same thing to happen.

This is difficult to reproduce in mega-me mode, although I've done it a couple of times. It always happens in mini-me, though.

This happens with either analog or digital CD playback. Once playback "catches" on some track, it seems to proceed through the remaining tracks without problems.

Media Jukebox  8.0.211

CPU: Intel Pentium III 750 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 209 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: N/A

bonnersera

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2002, 10:41:46 am »

problem witz playlists:

when you drag and drop a playlist group and would like to put it back on main playlist root, all playlists disappear. after closing and opening mj again, everything works ok and the action is saved either

bonnersera

jfmus

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2002, 12:43:52 pm »

I am also having the memory leak, crashing that is being described. Plays for an hour or two with visualizations running, and then crashes. My other concern is that when opening other programs, or Internet Explorer that is a glitch in the audio. This happens when clicking on a new file in Windows Explorer, or when going to the next song in a playlist. I use the full screen mode and a remote, when I don't want to hear a song, I skip to the next...It sounds like a misplaced needle at the beginning of a song on a record. (At least that is the best description I can give it).

I have to say with all bugs aside the program is looking awesome. Particularly the full screen mode...Keep up the good work.

I am running Win98,PIII 750 with 768meg of Ram..

JFMUS
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up