INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Posting options for speaker measurement/correction guide using JRiver  (Read 2832 times)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

As discussed over in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85631.msg585519#msg585519, I've been working on a basic how-to guide on using assorted freeware to generate semi-automated speaker and room correction filters, and how to then use those filters in JRiver.  I'm almost done with the guide, but it's fairly large (about 12 pages of text).  My initial instinct was to post it here on the forums as a "guide" like some of the other big guides that have gone up over the past year.    

I wanted to check in with the forum admins and make sure that a large "guide" like that would be ok, or if I should look into hosting it somewhere else.  I don't currently have a blog anywhere, so it'd be easier for me to set it up here, and I enjoy the feedback and back and forth that comes from a forum setting.  But if that's "too much" it'd probably be easy enough to set a blog up.  I just thought I should check in before creating a topic and staking out the space I'd need.  Obviously I'll need to host the images elsewhere to get them to show up nicely in-line, but I think I've got that covered.

connersw

Re: Re: Posting options for speaker measurement/correction guide using JRiver
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 10:43:52 am »

Personally, I would like to see it posted here so there can be some discussion.  Then a final guide, after input/changes, could be put on the wiki, similar to the madVR guide. But I'm not an Admin; just my opinion.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
Re: Re: Posting options for speaker measurement/correction guide using JRiver
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 10:57:15 am »

Personally, I would like to see it posted here so there can be some discussion.  Then a final guide, after input/changes, could be put on the wiki, similar to the madVR guide. But I'm not an Admin; just my opinion.

Yeah that was my thinking too.  I've put in a lot of time on it, but I know it's not going to be perfect, and I was hoping the kind folks around here would help keep me honest  ;D

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Posting options for speaker measurement/correction guide using JRiver
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 02:41:47 pm »

Before the loopback was available I used the RTA feature of REW to check the final output of JRiver and its DSP. It is still helpful because some convolution filters are too long for REW to work properly when it sends its own signal. I have a guide that you can link to or use if you want:

How to use the RTA feature of REW with JRiver

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 03:49:04 pm »

Before the loopback was available I used the RTA feature of REW to check the final output of JRiver and its DSP. It is still helpful because some convolution filters are too long for REW to work properly when it sends its own signal. I have a guide that you can link to or use if you want:

How to use the RTA feature of REW with JRiver

I had written up the guide using Holm for measurement, but Holm has no RTA (just sine sweeps), so that's a useful alternative.  I'll certainly link to your guide since you've so kindly offered   ;D

I'm actually pretty much ready to go with my guide, so if I don't hear otherwise, I may just throw it up here sometime over the next few days.

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 11:06:25 am »

I had written up the guide using Holm for measurement, but Holm has no RTA (just sine sweeps), so that's a useful alternative.  I'll certainly link to your guide since you've so kindly offered   ;D

I'm actually pretty much ready to go with my guide, so if I don't hear otherwise, I may just throw it up here sometime over the next few days.

Just go for it!   ;D

-Jim

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 12:13:10 pm »

Just go for it!   ;D

-Jim

Ok, I'm putting it up now.  Everything but the phase discussion should be up in a few minutes. It's all up now here:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87538.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up