INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improving TV set up & universal recording formats  (Read 1285 times)

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
Improving TV set up & universal recording formats
« on: December 04, 2013, 12:55:30 pm »

Ok.....I have TV set up now and am able to get live streaming using HD Homerun Prime (3 cable cards). I have A LOT of learning and tweaking to do but finally I think I'm on the right track.  

I set TV in JRiver to record the Movie Hurricane on HBO-HD last night, sending it to my Synology Diskstation NAS.

This is the first chance I've had to check out the results today. I remotely checked the folder I set for recording & there are many "Hurricane" files it it. However, the "Video Station" in the Synology doesn't see the movie file. I remember seeing, I think, 2 format options for recording... jrt  &  ts (?). Therefore, I assume that Video Station cannot see this file format.

I've searched for info to define the specific differences in each or what the advantage and disadvantage of each might be but couldn't find much.

I would like to be able to use both JRiver & Synology depending on what situation I'm in. As a side not, I am also working on getting a VPN set up so that I can remotely access JR & stream video & music remotely. But that's another mater.

Any feedback, suggestions &/or a point in the right direction will be appreciated!

JR

OK....just found the post I read the other day not far below.... "TV recorded in .ts format not always watchable outside MC". Out of this I gather that I should use .ts instead of jrt if I want to use other renderers? Is there an advantage to either?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Improving TV set up & universal recording formats
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:54:45 am »

JTV works great inside MC.  TS is more portable but uses more system resources during recording (in terms of disk IOs).
The issue of TS files not playable in other applications is no longer an issue.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

contium

• World Citizen
Re: Improving TV set up & universal recording formats
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:51:32 am »

Recording in ts is a mess for me. Uses about 50% cpu vs 3% for jtv. And the resulting file is glitchy has heck. I really want to use ts but it just doesn't work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up