INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC files for iTunes  (Read 3170 times)

tngiloy

• Junior Woodchuck
FLAC files for iTunes
« on: February 05, 2014, 08:07:46 am »

I have been ripping my cd's into my MC19 library using FLAC and APE. This is great for MC19, but I have encountered a problem with iTunes, since it doesn't recognize FLAC (and apparently APE). So I am unable to copy my MC19 files to  iTunes, at least in their present form.

What I would like to do is convert my MC19 FLAC files to mp3/4 to copy to iTunes-- (I use iTunes for a nano I use at work on a lo-fi system for background music) AND retain the FLAC files for MC19 for use on my hi-fi system at home. Is this possible??
If so, how??
I'm not a computer whiz, so please be specific and detailed in any suggestions and instructions.

Thanks

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: FLAC files for iTunes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:42:28 am »

You can use the conversion tool to convert from FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) to ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) without losing any audio quality or metadata, and iTunes will be able to read those files.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 03:15:05 pm »

As you don't want to have your lossless and MP3 mixed up, best is to convert to a directory outside the one monitored by JRiver e.g. C:\IRuines
As it is portable use I recommend to rip to MP3.
Maybe this link is of use: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/Advanced/Conversion.htm

If JRiver can see your Nano, sync a playlist to it is another option.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/MC_sync.htm

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 03:43:03 pm »

As you don't want to have your lossless and MP3 mixed up, best is to convert to a directory outside the one monitored by JRiver e.g. C:\IRuines

As 6233638 already said, if you convert your files to ALAC they will play both on your iThingy and also (at full lossless quality) in MC. Once you have done that conversion (and verified that it worked properly) you can throw away your FLAC files (or at least store them offline in a safe place). And then the ALACs will be you single master files for all applications. That way you don't need to worry about keeping two versions (hi-res and lo-res) of the same track separately.

Note: as 6233638 said the ALAC format has exactly the same resolution and fidelity as FLAC so you lose nothing by making this conversion.

PS my own library of 11'000+ tracks is in ALAC so I know what I am talking about.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 01:46:06 pm »

One of the features MC does extremely well is convert FLAC (or any format MC supports), on the fly to an IPOD, without affecting your "library" copy.  You need to set up the conversion in options after clicking on the ipod device and tell it what to convert it to and not replace the original file.

The  on the fly create saves allot of disk space, of temporally storing the entire contents of the MP3 files,  but I do have a problem getting remotely close choosing the number of songs that will fit on the ipod after conversion to MP3.  Unlike Itunes which flat out refuses to begin sync until your list will fit on the device, MC offers to convert what will fit, and will ignores the excess (no idea how it chooses assume list order?).

Can any one guess what the total flac size will come down to as MP3 at 320?  30%, 40%?

Thanks  Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 01:54:47 pm »

If I sync to my mobile (Android) JRiver simply tells how much space is left.
Maybe an iPod behaves different.

In general FLAC is 600-700 kbs so a 320 MP3 will take approximately half of the space.

Reddy Kilowatt

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 07:22:24 pm »

Another vote for bagging iTunes altogether.  As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to use iTunes for ANYTHING is if you have an iOS device like an iPhone or iPad that requires it for syncing music, video, etc.  Otherwise, JR MC is just fine for conversion on the fly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up