INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: multiple audio librairies  (Read 1368 times)

Mooneyass

• Recent member
multiple audio librairies
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:37:11 pm »

Hey guys,

Here's my setup.  I have a headless windows server 12 audiophile pc that uses my Oppo 105 for a dac.  It has a small 1TB drive in it that I use to store my hires music.  It's all controlled with jremote.  It all works fantastically with the exception of the odd jremote crash.

BUT, I would like to integrate my relatively large mp3 collection as a secondary library that is separate from the hi-res stuff.  It's on a reasonably new and fast 3TB NAS in the basement.  So, how do I manage this?  I honestly don't understand how mc19 handles librairies nor do I know how/if jremote handles this.

Any help would be very appreciated,

Wes

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: multiple audio librairies
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 06:53:27 pm »

Don't call your other collection of files a "library", as this will confuse conversations here.   it is just another disk with another folder or more containing files.

MC will happily import into its Library* any number of folders you configure into Auto-Import, or that you Import manually.

*MC uses the term Library to mean the collection of settings, media file references, and metadata.   Most users use the a single Library to manage all of their files.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:29:38 pm »

Best solution:  put all files in one MC library, then use different views or separate categories in the view to separate the different groups of materials.

If you have a specific question on how to handle a specific scenario, just ask.  Lots of good help around here.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 12:00:40 am »

I agree with the other suggestions. Just import the MP3s into your current library, and set up views which have rules like "File Type is MP3" and "File Type is not MP3" if you want them to be kept separate from each other.

This gives you the flexibility of having some views which do list all your music together regardless of type, for example.

csimon

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 04:38:45 am »

I honestly don't understand how mc19 handles librairies nor do I know how/if jremote handles this.

Other people have given probably the best/easiest answer, but just to give a bit more background, yes you can have multiple "libraries" in MC. Think of an MC library as a database - it's the complete collection of views, imported files etc. So you can indeed keep an MP3 collection completely separate from a hires collection. But it's more tricky to use because you can only have one library loaded at a time, so you couldn't send hires music to your main music system while sending an MP3 to a second zone, for example.  Also, JRemote only sees the library that is currently loaded.

It's more convenient to load everything into one library and then separate them with filters and rules in the views. May need a bit of setting up to start with but I can't see any advantage of a separate library over this.

Mooneyass

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 03:27:37 pm »

Thanks guys.  I appreciate the help on understanding what a library is, thats key here.

OK, so is JRemote able to handle different views? 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 05:01:28 pm »

OK, so is JRemote able to handle different views?  

Yes, absolutely.

However, these are defined separately than those used for Standard View.

MC has three independent View systems:

1. Standard View: these are defined in the tree.
2. Theater View: these are defined in Options > Theater View
3. Media Network: these are defined in Options > Media Network > Advanced > Customize Views for Gizmo and WebGizmo

The ones defined via #3 are the ones that JRemote (and any other Media Network application like Gizmo and WebGizmo) will "see".  When you are defining the views listed in #2 and #3, you can import views you've made in Standard View via the Add Library Item from Standard View option you get when you add a new item.

Please Note: To see the effects in JRemote or other Media Network connected applications, you must restart MC for any changes to take effect.  This includes closing the running Media Server if you have MC set to run Media Server in the tray even when the main UI is closed.*

There is actually also a fourth place you can define views, that is related to the third, but is probably not heavily used.  If you have a DLNA device on your network that attaches to MC and browses it as a DLNA server, these views can be defined on a device-by-device basis when you add the DLNA server in Options > Media Network.

* PS. Guys, this is annoying.  Can someone make it so MC restarts the HTTP server or whatever when Options > Media Network is modified when you click OK?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up