INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-Fill Currently playing from Smart Playlist?  (Read 1740 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Auto-Fill Currently playing from Smart Playlist?
« on: February 24, 2014, 04:01:08 pm »

Hello.  I am loving MC and it has many advantages that make it much better than what I was using before.  There is one thing I haven't found yet though that I really liked in my previous program.

It had the ability to watch the currently playing list and if it got below a certain number of tracks (I usually set it to 10) then it would automatically add a specified number of tracks from a chosen playlist (Or smart playlist which is what I used)

Is there a way to implement this in MC?

Thanks.

Carl.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jctcom

Re: Auto-Fill Currently playing from Smart Playlist?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 05:36:22 pm »

See:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Play_Doctor

Thanks MrC.  Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything in there that actually addressed my question.  I have used Play Doctor and I have set up some very nice (For me) Smart playlists.

What I am looking for is something that will take place when I am not near the computer to push a button  (Like when I am working in the carport or in another room).  I was looking for something (Maybe Play Doctor but I didn't read anything that indicated it could do this) that will keep a watch on the playing now list.  When it gets low on tracks or maybe even when it has played it's last track I want something that will automatically add a specified number of tracks from a specified smart playlist without any interaction on my part.

Did I miss something in the link you posted?

Carl

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 05:50:41 pm »

PlayDoctor will keep filling Playing Now 100 at a time, with files that are derived from the initial seed used to start Play Doctor.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jctcom

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 06:03:16 pm »

Ahhh. Ok. I didn't know that.  (And I didn't see it anywhere in the thread you directed me to?)

So as long as I start playing with Play Doctor using a particular playlist then it will keep adding tracks.  Cool.

Carl.

jctcom

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 06:06:05 pm »

Hmmm.

Except that it doesn't seem to pick up the name of a playlist that I type in.  Only "Artist" "Genre" "Song"?  Or am I still missing something?

Car.

jctcom

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 06:11:23 pm »

It looks like I could set a rule to restrict it to a particular playlist (Or set of playlists) which would work I guess.

But I would rather do that for say one of the "Radio" buttons than for Play Doctor globally.

Carl.

jctcom

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 06:18:41 pm »

Ok How about this.

If I create such a Play Doctor Playlist restricting it to a particular playlist or group of playlists and then save it using one of the radio buttons.  Can I then use that radio button to call it up and 1. will it maintain the criteria even if I have removed that restriction from the Play Doctor rules? and 2. Will it continue to add tracks as it goes like Play Doctor would?

Thanks

Carl.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 06:44:33 pm »

It depends what you're trying to accomplish...

If the goal is to be able to pick individual tracks or whatever "organically" but to always have it "fall back" to a default playlist, the little MCPlayIfNotPlaying applet I made might do just the thing.

It isn't quite what you were looking for, but it might be good enough.  Basically, you can give it any playlist in MC when you run it, and it will play the playlist IF nothing else is currently playing.  On the machine at work that I built it for, I have it set as a Windows Scheduled Task to run every 5 minutes.  That way, no matter what you do, playback will never stop entirely for more than 5 minutes (and typically less).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jctcom

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 10:57:31 am »

Thanks Glynor.

I will look at that if the Play Doctor option doesn't hold up.  But I think with the new rules the play doctor will probably fit my needs.

Carl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up