INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to avoid autoimporting unwanted files ?  (Read 2367 times)

Sa-Mike

How to avoid autoimporting unwanted files ?
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:21:53 am »

I have been trialling MC19 and now I should decide if I want to buy the full version.
The top most issue with the trial was the following:
I have a NAS where my HD music files are in one folder with subfolders. In that same NAS there is another root folder where I have stored my itunes MP3 files.
I have disabled the auto-import feature in the Tools/Options/Library&Folders

I import my hd audio files from the subfolders in the NAS into my library. My intention is that in my jriver audio library I only have lossless material.
Still whenever I go and see my hd audio library, I also find those mp3 files, at least some of them, there in the library. It is like jriver was slowly  autoimporting everything I have in my NAS. What am I doing wrong here? Or is this a known "feature" of jriver software?

Let us assume I have in my NAS folders "HD Music" and "iTunes" and I would like to import everything there is in the "HD Music" but nothing of "iTunes" folder into my jriver library. How am I supposed to do it then?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sa-Mike

Re: How to avoid autoimporting unwanted files ?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:40:14 am »

Thnaks TAO1857. I have no folders configured for auto-import. I always import manually only. Whenever I add new material in the HD folder of my NAS, I then import that material from jriver "filemanager" window.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 10:48:18 am »

Just an idea - when MC is first installed it will auto-import everything in your Windows music library by default, unless you spot it quickly within 30 seconds and cancel it.  Could that have happened? Otherwise, it will never import music from folders that you haven't specified in Auto Import.

Note that you can clear the library all in one go if you don't mind starting again, this may be easier than deleting the entries that you don't want.

connersw

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 10:52:47 am »

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 05:06:14 pm »

If you do a manual import, there is no way to exclude subdirectories.  You can exclude by filetype if you want.

You CAN add exclusion directories to Auto-Import, so I'd recommend you use that instead.  You can add the top-level root folder you want to watch, and then add any exclusions for folders within there you want to skip.  You don't have to (though you should because it is awesome) run MC's Auto-Import in "full auto" mode.  You can make Auto-Import "not auto" by unchecking Options > Library & Folders > Auto-Import > Run auto import in the background.

Then, you can still manually run an "auto-import" pass via Tools > Import > Run Auto-Import Now whenever you want.

But, I don't think you should be doing any of this, but that's a longer post and I'm out of time.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 05:25:17 pm »

I don't have very much time to explain (but a little more than I thought I had before), but...

Why not just import those files into MC?

It is silly to go through a bunch of work to prevent MC from seeing them, especially since you could use MC to manage them later if you ever need to.  If the issue you're worried about is all of those files being "in your way" when you look at your media through MC, this is easily prevented.

MC's Views are basically all just filters.  They come with some stock filters, but you can add your own.  If you add a filter to the top level Audio view, it will "trickle down" to any views underneath it.

There are a bunch of ways you can filter out files automatically, so they don't show, and aren't in your way, but where MC still has them in the database (and then, if desired, you can make other views that do see them, and maybe only them, so you can deal with them if you need to).  One simple option would be if they are all in a particular folder on your filesystem (M:\Music\iTunes_Music\x\x\x, for example), just add a filter to your top-level Audio view that says:
[Filename] does not contain M:\Music\iTunes_Music\

Then, nothing under Audio will ever show those files.  They'll be in the database, but they'll be hidden from those views.

If they're spread around into different folders, there are lots of other strategies.  If it was me, I'd make a Tag On Import rule that assigns any files that belong to iTunes the [Keyword] "iTunes".  Then, I'd exclude those files from my main Audio views by adding this rule to the Audio view:
[Keywords] is not any iTunes

I do this with a few different "special keywords" in my views.  I have two keywords in particular:  "Exclude from Views" and "Test File".

Then, I have a separate top-level "Advanced" view where I can see ALL files, including those that are otherwise excluded.  I use these for a variety of tasks.  Exclude from Views is nice because I can easily apply it to any file or set of files that I want to "keep" (for whatever reason) but don't want to see.  Often this is when I've just imported a giant pile of disorganized media that I don't feel like dealing with right away.  I just select them all, set the Keyword, and they all vanish until I want to go looking for them when I have time.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up