INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver, Linn DS, JRemote  (Read 3907 times)

gypsykirk

• Recent member
JRiver, Linn DS, JRemote
« on: February 24, 2014, 04:35:35 pm »

Hi, running the latest version of JRiver can anyone answer ("put to bed") a few quick questions for me.

Without using catwalk and only using the jriver server can you use jremote to control your music library, make playlists and send music to a linn ds?.  Also, if you can, if you send a gapless album to the ds, will it play it properly?  Can you pause and scroll through tracks using j remote?.

The reason I ask is I have been unable to do these things with a different renderer by a different company employing the stream 700 module and would like to know if I was to go down the Linn route, whether I can use jriver and j remote as my server and control point PROPERLY!

Having done many internet searches it would appear people think they have been using these features only upon closer inspection finding out there are actually snags and complications with it.

I would really like to use a streamer but it seems there are many drawbacks.

Cheers.

xsparky

Re: JRiver, Linn DS, J.Remote
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 06:28:33 pm »

Hi,

First off I am far from an expert but I am using JRiver with my Linn Klimax Ds/1 and it works very well, and without Catwalk that I use to use. Catwalk is not needed now.

As far as a remote, yes to all your concerns as far as I have read. Here is a fellow who has set up 6 zones doing what you are asking with iPads or the like. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/524-complete-guide-hifi-upnp-dlna-network-audio/

I have a quiet PC beside my system and I have all the album art on the screen. Many other ways to do this. I have a small USB remote that FF or Rewinds the track, album etc which is fine for me.  I have all my music on my 3TB hard drive in my PC and backed up on my QNAP server regularly.

I have not found a dac that sounds as nice as the Linn and i like the JRiver software much better than Linns. You could also use Linns software with an iPad if you want too. With a stream player, the possibilities are endless.

good luck.

gypsykirk

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 03:12:45 am »

Hi xsparky,

It seems that it's possibly one of two things then, maybe it's the newer ds models that work better with j. River? Or maybe the people that can't get the ds to play gapless are using an older version of j.river.

I'm aware of that article on computer audiophile and have a similar based setup to yourself however I was thinking on trying to find a used akurate/0 with dynamik to use as a streamer.

I see Linn are working on a new app too!

Cheers.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 05:24:22 am »

^

Just so you know it...

Linn was originally very snooty about what they perceived as weaknesses in the standard UPnP / DLNA specifications, and when they made their implementation of those standards they deigned that the standards were insufficient to fulfill their needs, so they added their own so called "Linn UPnP Extensions".

Linn has published its extensions, and so they claim that those extensions are now "open standards", but in reality these extensions have not been adopted by the UPnP standardization working group (at www.upnp.org) nor by the DLNA industry group (at www.dlna.org), so de facto these are still really proprietary extensions.

MC's implementation supports the official UPnP and DLNA standards, and (IMHO rightly so) they do not support the Linn extensions.

One of the Linn Extensions concerns gapless playback. According to the official standards, the Control Point shall manage the playlist, and it shall use the SetAvTransportUri / SetNextAvTransportUri mechanism to push individual tracks to the renderer "just-in-time" so that the renderer can play each track gaplessly after the other. This is what MC does. On the other hand, in Linn's "solution" they invented a new UPnP Service Action that rather than pushing individual tracks via the SetAvTransportUri / SetNextAvTransportUri mechanism, instead pushes the whole playlist by means of this newly defined proprietary Service Action.

I don't know the Linn DS at all, so I cannot tell you if it falls back to supporting the standard SetAvTransportUri / SetNextAvTransportUri mechanism when the Control Point uses that mechanism rather than the Linn proprietary Service Action.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

gypsykirk

• Recent member
Re: JRiver, Linn DS, JRemote
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 04:22:34 pm »

Interesting stuff Andrew. Thanks for your response.
Pages: [1]   Go Up