INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resonessence Labs Herus  (Read 3482 times)

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
Resonessence Labs Herus
« on: March 05, 2014, 02:53:06 pm »

Greetings, I'm brand new to this forum and I have a question regarding any potential settings that would effect playback of stereo 16 and 24 bit files through the subject line USB DAC. 
The problem I'm having is one in which the output sounds as if it were missing some of the audio information, almost like a multi track file where one or more tracks are missing.
I wish I could explain it better, but thats exactly how it sounds, like one or more "tracks" in a multitrack recording are missing, even though what I am playing back is just 2 channel stereo.
The Herus is a new DAC for me and will be a mobile DAC I take to work, previously I had MC 19 working perfectly at home using both a USB S/PDIF converter (V-Link 192), and also a different (larger sized/harder to tote everywhere) portable DAC, the CEntrance HiFi-M8.
So this is the first difficulty I've encountered with MC 19.
I am using an HP Windows 7 64 bit laptop in all cases, 8GB of RAM, Core i7 @ 2.9 GHz.
I am also confused as to why after the driver installation, there appear to be 2 different choices specifically for the Herus hardware, one ASIO and the other WASAPI. The problem I am having occurs using either of those two drivers.
I apologize in advance if this is covered in some other thread, I did not see it after a search.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Resonessence Labs Herus
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 05:07:20 pm »

The problem I'm having is one in which the output sounds as if it were missing some of the audio information, almost like a multi track file where one or more tracks are missing.

Have you got any DSP options operational at all (Audio Settings)? Does the Audio Path icon in the top right of teh window turn blue when playing a track?

MikeyFresh

• World Citizen
Re: Resonessence Labs Herus
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 08:56:59 am »

No DSP at all, I don't actually see the Audio Path button you refer to although it might be that I customized the view to where it isn't in the upper right hand corner anymore?

Thanks very much for your reply, I appreciate the help, and it turns out this is an output  device hardware accessory issue.

The Herus has a 1/4" analog output jack, yesterday I was using headphones that have a 3.5mm plug, so a 1/4" male to 3.5mm female adapter is needed to mate them to the Herus.

The adapter I was using came with a set of Grado SR-80 headphones I bought darn near 20 years ago. Although it has never been subjected to abuse, and it does work in other devices I have, there is something about the Herus' jack that doesn't like that adapter. I had originally thought that might be the problem but the typical trouble shooting of checking to see if everything is correctly seated and even slightly "spinning" the adapter to see if a better connection could be established didn't help.

This morning I brought a different, brand new Furutech F-63 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter to work with me and the problem has vanished. I am using the ASIO driver and there are no remaining issues, sounds great at all native sample rates, right now I am listening to a 24/192 file ripped from DVD-audio, again, sounds terrific.

Thanks very much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up