Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

JRiver Synapse -- Would you consider a $395 Audiophile DLNA Renderer?

<< < (7/23) > >>

jmone:
For those talking about a Server product, this is the format that got me going a few years ago (was based on WHS) - a tranquil SQA-5H (I even had the extra 5 Bay add on).  It was a great small format server but the big downside is the low spec'ed CPU's make for a terrible video server if transcoding is needed (eg Gizmo clients).... just not enough grunt.  In my case it turned out just adding bays to the main PC was way better. 

AndrewFG:
I am a definite "no" on this one...

Reason is that I don't live in USA, and sorry to say it but I doubt JR has the competency (or interest) to build, deliver, or support non US boxes...

JimH:
I knew I was going to love being in the hardware business.

6233638:

--- Quote from: JimH on March 05, 2014, 06:41:49 pm ---I use Gizmo a lot for playback.  The playback information is on the remote.  I can see why you might expect it on the playback device, but it's a small mind shift required.
--- End quote ---
Personally, I hate using touchscreen devices as a remote.[*]You have to unlock the device and wait for an app to load and connect before you can control anything.
[*]You have to look at a screen to control anything.
[*]It's easy to hit the wrong thing by accident.
[*]It's a multi-functional device so it may be in use when you want to control playback. (e.g. wife is reading a book on it)
[*]It's another point of failure - now you have three devices talking to each other instead of two.
[*]I've paid $400 for the audio receiver, now I need to buy a tablet?
[*]Why not just use a docked tablet as the media player? Then you have control and playback in one device.[/list]

--- Quote from: JimH on March 06, 2014, 07:10:10 am ---I knew I was going to love being in the hardware business.
--- End quote ---
I know that it's not something you are likely to pursue, and probably not even something there is really a market for, but I would pay at least a couple of hundred dollars for a physical remote if it was done right. As far as I can see, everything on the market is crap.

Apple and Sony are the only companies that seem to know how to build a good remote, but neither of them are programmable and capable of controlling other devices.

csimon:

--- Quote from: JimH on March 06, 2014, 07:10:10 am ---I knew I was going to love being in the hardware business.

--- End quote ---

Twice the fun, lol!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version