Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

JRiver Synapse -- Would you consider a $395 Audiophile DLNA Renderer?

<< < (8/23) > >>

AndrewFG:

--- Quote from: JimH on March 06, 2014, 07:10:10 am ---I knew I was going to love being in the hardware business.

--- End quote ---

On a personal note, I would advise you to really think carefully about stepping into the hardware business. You have spent many years of your life building up a company that is highly skilled, entrepreneurial and at the top of its game in software. There is an understandable tendency for entrepreneurs to get lured by the big bucks of selling boxes versus selling software. But be aware that you would be starting again from scratch as a new player in such a business. Today you may be seeing the lure of the big bucks on your top line, but do be aware of the risks of being hit by big bucks on your expense line, that you may not have foreseen. (Just think of shipping, warranty, returns, repairs, etc. as just a few topics that you currently don't have in your current business model...)

csimon:

--- Quote from: 6233638 on March 06, 2014, 07:32:42 am ---Personally, I hate using touchscreen devices as a remote...

--- End quote ---

Two different use-cases I think. A touch device is perfect when you want to use your system remotely or headless and love flicking through your album covers and borwsing visually, you can also browse while your HTPC is playing video. Not so good for instant access to volume control, fast-forward/rewind and pause. I find a remote control awkward to use for browsing, a tablet is much more intuitive and direct. A touchscreen remote isn't really a remote, it's a mobile version of the desktop app. (Apart from the apps that emulate remote controls that is!) To that end, I'd love an IR or RF remote control that just had simple transport and volume controls to work alongside the tablet, but most PC remotes seem to have dozens of incredibly tiny buttons so you can't really use them without looking.

Multi-device remote controls are a pain to use too, with modes to select and remembering which buttons do what.

cncb:

--- Quote from: glynor on March 05, 2014, 10:12:58 pm ---I disagree.  Why would your AVR do all of the processing?

I use MC for most of my processing, because it does a better job, and is far more flexible.  I send my AVR PCM via HDMI.  About the only thing my AVR does is Room Correction, because setting up MC's Room Correction is too complex.  If it had a simpler system, I'd use that too.

I'm not sure how that plays in, technically.  It is actually better than your AVR, in almost all ways, if you have an AVR.

--- End quote ---

This seems like an uncommon use case.  If you prefer MC's processing it seems like one would typically just buy a multi-channel analog amp since most claim it is a "better" amp than that in an AVR anyways.  Personally, along with the auto EQ and room correction that you mentioned, my AVR has all the adjustments I need and I can make most of them on the fly with a remote control and an on screen display.

csimon:

--- Quote from: cncb on March 06, 2014, 08:19:03 am ---This seems like an uncommon use case.  If you prefer MC's processing it seems like one would typically just buy a multi-channel analog amp since most claim it is a "better" amp than that in an AVR anyways.  Personally, along with the auto EQ and room correction that you mentioned, my AVR has all the adjustments I need and I can make most of them on the fly with a remote control and an on screen display.

--- End quote ---

I'm now using MC in the way Glynor describes! I prefer MC's fake-surround processing of music over Dolby Pro-Logic or DTS that my AVR would do, so I take multichannel output from MC into my AVR's external decoder inputs, however an AVR is required because my TV and BR player output to it, i.e. a decoder is required in it and therefore an analogue amp won't do.

6233638:

--- Quote from: cncb on March 06, 2014, 08:19:03 am ---This seems like an uncommon use case.  If you prefer MC's processing it seems like one would typically just buy a multi-channel analog amp since most claim it is a "better" amp than that in an AVR anyways.  Personally, along with the auto EQ and room correction that you mentioned, my AVR has all the adjustments I need and I can make most of them on the fly with a remote control and an on screen display.
--- End quote ---
Most analog outputs from a PC are not very high quality - I would not want to spend a lot of money on a multichannel amplifier and run audio out from the PC into one of them.
An AVR is the ideal solution - a DAC and multichannel amplifier in one box, so the quality of the PC's analog output doesn't matter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version