Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

JRiver Synapse -- Would you consider a $395 Audiophile DLNA Renderer?

<< < (9/23) > >>

Hendrik:

--- Quote from: cncb on March 06, 2014, 08:19:03 am ---This seems like an uncommon use case.  If you prefer MC's processing it seems like one would typically just buy a multi-channel analog amp since most claim it is a "better" amp than that in an AVR anyways.  Personally, along with the auto EQ and room correction that you mentioned, my AVR has all the adjustments I need and I can make most of them on the fly with a remote control and an on screen display.

--- End quote ---

I use my AVR the same way, most processing is in MC. The advantage over a multi-channel AMP is that I also get a decent DAC in the AVR without buying an expensive sound card.
I would actually wish for a simpler setup without HDMI, but alas there are no proper digital connections available to do it which also support up to 8 channel 192/24 (maybe a USB DAC could, but 8ch at decent quality sounds pricey), and analog requires a good sound card...

6233638:

--- Quote from: Hendrik on March 06, 2014, 08:37:03 am ---I use my AVR the same way, most processing is in MC. The advantage over a multi-channel AMP is that I also get a decent DAC in the AVR without buying an expensive sound card.
I would actually wish for a simpler setup without HDMI, but alas there are no proper digital connections available to do it which also support up to 8 channel 192/24 (maybe a USB DAC could, but 8ch at decent quality sounds pricey), and analog requires a good sound card...
--- End quote ---
Pioneer now have an AVR which will function as a USB DAC. Unfortunately it's their highest-priced model, but hopefully this becomes a trend and something which other manufacturers adopt, and incorporate into lower-end AVRs as well.

Considering that no PC will output DSD over HDMI, it would be nice to see DSD-capable AVRs add USB support for native multichannel DSD playback.

cncb:

--- Quote from: 6233638 on March 06, 2014, 08:34:11 am ---Most analog outputs from a PC are not very high quality - I would not want to spend a lot of money on a multichannel amplifier and run audio out from the PC into one of them.
An AVR is the ideal solution - a DAC and multichannel amplifier in one box, so the quality of the PC's analog output doesn't matter.

--- End quote ---

This was my original point: if you are going to tout this as "audiophile quality" and cater this towards audiophiles, you probably should include high-quality analog outputs since HDMI won't really distinguish it from the cheap DLNA networked boxes.

JimH:

--- Quote from: AndrewFG on March 06, 2014, 08:13:34 am ---On a personal note, I would advise you to really think carefully about stepping into the hardware business. You have spent many years of your life building up a company that is highly skilled, entrepreneurial and at the top of its game in software. There is an understandable tendency for entrepreneurs to get lured by the big bucks of selling boxes versus selling software. But be aware that you would be starting again from scratch as a new player in such a business. Today you may be seeing the lure of the big bucks on your top line, but do be aware of the risks of being hit by big bucks on your expense line, that you may not have foreseen. (Just think of shipping, warranty, returns, repairs, etc. as just a few topics that you currently don't have in your current business model...)

--- End quote ---
I'll start a thread on the beta board to explain our thinking.

csimon:

--- Quote from: mwillems on March 06, 2014, 09:00:36 am ---Depends on what you mean by pricey.  There are currently nice 8 channel 192/24 USB DACs floating around in the $700-$800 range.  Emotiva makes a pretty nice 7 channel standalone amp for $500.
--- End quote ---

Out of interest, could you give a couple of examples? Just tried Googling but it didn't really turn up anythign of relevance, at kleast not here in UK.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version