Devices > JRiver Id -- Hardware by JRiver

JRiver Synapse -- Would you consider a $395 Audiophile DLNA Renderer?

<< < (14/23) > >>

daveman:
I think a hardware device is an excellent idea.  However, it would have to include video for me to go ahead and purchase one.

Currently, I have 5 wdtv live units in my home.  While they work great, I am unable to get the full benefit of Theatre View or access sidecar files using this system.  A JRiver media center which allowed full access to video and audio capabilities associated with the MC software would be a perfect solution and would hopefully negate the need for an HTPC.

I would buy 1 (with video) for sure.

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Dave

pcstockton:
totally.  give me WDTV capabilities with SqueezeBox Touch digital output quality via SPDIF and I would buy 3.

if it had video via HDMI i would help you sell them for free.

AndyU:
Yes I very much would consider a DLNA renderer. In fact I'd pretty much buy it onsight, as long as it was silent, worked with MC and JRemote, and fed my Benchmark DAC2 HGC - presumably by USB. In fact can I have one now. :)

Don't care about HDMI. But not interested if it has a fan.

JimH:
Discussion of fans split.

Goatshade:
I would seriously consider this with HD video output. Thus, I checked the "Maybe" box.

However, I have a question or two, mostly about its necessity in my own setup.

I recently stripped down my desktop PC in the interest of having it function primarily as an HTPC (though, being a desktop machine that was originally built to be an entry-level gaming PC, it's still a bit bloated for my taste). I have two zones set up: one in my room, corresponding to a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 surround system--to which the PC is connected via optical S/PDIF--and one in a separate room, corresponding to a Marantz SR5008 A/V receiver--to which the PC is connected via roughly 60 feet of HDMI and to my router via 80+ feet of CAT5E. A custom-assembled 7.1 system is connected to the A/V receiver in turn. The latter outputs the best-sounding audio I've ever experienced, especially when Audyssey is taken into account (bear it in mind, though, that I am still very new and inexperienced in the world of audiophilia). Save when I am using my PlayStation 3 or other device also connected to the A/V receiver, MC is, of course, the application that sees the most use in both zones.

All of my media files are stored in about 14TB worth of HDD's, enclosed in a small external RAID controller (four bays; NOT NAS), and connected to the PC via USB 3.0.

Would/should this Synapse box replace or streamline any of that? Or would this be either redundant, or a downgrade from the setup I already have? I don't understand much about devices designed specifically to function as DLNA renderers, and DAC's, and whatnot, and how they compete in the world of home theatre.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version