INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [19.0.120] Subtitle shifting does not work with ripped IDX/SUB subpictures  (Read 4519 times)

Goatshade

• Citizen of the Universe

So I just imported a series on blu-ray, and have ripped the contents in BDMV/STREAM folder structure with DVDFab. Having had the region 1 DVD's of the same series, I used DVDFab to rip the subs in IDX/SUB format (the only option available).

I have placed the subtitle files within a folder called "SUBTITLE" in the BDMV directory and named them "index" to match the bdmv file, per Matt's old instruction on sidecars. However, while MC sees the subtitles and makes them selectable, they don't actually appear in the video unless I change the size of the subtitles to anything other than 100%. When I do so, they appear way too high in the video. Tinkering with the size and shift options don't do anything: all sizes from %50-%90 and %110-150 render them at the same size, while the shift options just don't do anything, period.

Changing the video mode to Custom with Red October HQ as a base and using DirectVobSub as the video post-processor doesn't do anything either. In general, I haven't found any good and comprehensive documentation on how to use MC's Custom options, and I would really like some feedback on this since it's been a consistent problem for me for the past couple of months. I just want to know how to make it so I can alter the placement of IDX/SUB subpictures in a video without having to OCR them into a text-based format--that's really it.

Anybody have any input on how I can set this up? Or, if it's not possible, can someone at least tell me that?

Goatshade

A thought?

Ninouchka

• World Citizen

Well, I mostly buy my bluray movies or series from amazon uk. Often there are no dutch subtitles included, so I do the following :
Rip the BR at high quality with DVDFab, AnyDVDHD and handbrake, to make mkv of it. I don't take subtitles.
I look for the subtitles on subscene as .srt ones, if needed I resync the subtitle with subtitle workshop from urusoft.
I place the mkv + srt in the same folder with the same name. No more problem with shifting the subtitle in MC.
I hope this helps a bit.

Hendrik

• Administrator

Using DVD subtitles on a Blu-ray is a really tricky thing, as the size and position information of the DVD subs just don't match at all anymore.
Maybe we can try to improve this in the future, but I'm afraid there is no quick fix for this.

I assume your Blu-ray just didn't have the language subs you wanted?
You could try a resource like http://www.opensubtitles.org/ or http://subscene.com/ to try to find text subtitles for the series in your language, which should work even for a Blu-ray version.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Goatshade

Using DVD subtitles on a Blu-ray is a really tricky thing, as the size and position information of the DVD subs just don't match at all anymore.
Maybe we can try to improve this in the future, but I'm afraid there is no quick fix for this.

I assume your Blu-ray just didn't have the language subs you wanted?
You could try a resource like http://www.opensubtitles.org/ or http://subscene.com/ to try to find text subtitles for the series in your language, which should work even for a Blu-ray version.

Aye, it's the Japanese blu-ray release of Last Exile, for which there is no international equivalent. It contains the English, German, and Japanese audio tracks, and I tend to prefer the latter. However, there are no subtitles--not even Japanese subs.

Finding no acceptable alternative, either in fansubs, or in subtitles uploaded to the sites you linked (not a bad suggestion, though, thank you :)), I did end up beginning the process of OCR'ing the subs from the US DVD release that I bought a long time ago; editing, correcting (grammar and punctuation, &c.), and exporting them back into (much more visually appealing) SUP files via Subtitle Edit; and muxing them into the M2TS stream via tsMuxeR. It's a long process, and I'm only two episodes in, but I guess I can appreciate it as a learning experience.

All of that in mind, I guess this is solved for my purposes; however, I would still like to suggest that this be looked in to, since simply ripping the IDX/SUB files and using them as sidecars would be far easier and more convenient.

Thank you for the help though! :)

Goatshade

Re: [19.0.121] Cannot play from index file
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 01:46:36 am »

So, all of a sudden, I am now experiencing a very annoying issue:
MC will not play a ripped BD in BDMV folder structure via the index.bdmv file. It opens, and even displays the duration of the video file, but it just sits there, not doing anything. Attempting to stop it will cause it to hang. This only affects those files whose transport streams (M2TS files) in the STREAM folders have been remuxed with the aforementioned subtitles using tsMuxeR. The streams in question have not been renamed during the remuxing process, and were even working properly during the weekend, index and all. It wasn't doing this before, but the worst part is that rolling back to 19.0.120 doesn't fix the problem.

What happened? Is it the LAV update? Does the new LAV version retroactively apply to 19.0.120 in the first place?

Hendrik

• Administrator

It won't downgrade automatically, but you can simply delete the "lav" folder from "C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 19\Plugins", and it'll re-download the appropriate version then.

Note that simply remuxing the m2ts files of a BDMV structure is not supported, since many of the metadata files refer to specific positions in the file, and if you add an additional stream (and therefor increase the size of the files), the metadata files become invalid.
So unless you also rewrite the playlist files in the BDMV structure, there are no guarantees that it'll work with a remuxed m2ts.

Its probably a better idea to just remux the movie into a MKV or MP4, or even a stand-alone m2ts, if you're going to remux it anyway.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Goatshade

Re: [19.0.121] Cannot play from index file
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 09:29:11 pm »

I figured it out. It wasn't a problem with JRiver or LAV at all, but rather, the way I was remuxing the files. I was using the M2TS stream itself in tsMuxeR, rather than the MPLS in the PLAYLIST folder. It's working now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up