INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Hardware  (Read 12386 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver Hardware
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2014, 06:49:49 pm »

[moved from the beta board]

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2014, 11:35:36 pm »

Old post.  I know, but I'm re-reading this thread.

Raspberry Pi is ARM, but Intel may have one we could use.  I was looking at this today:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/LIVA/index.html

At the low end of hardware, the priece difference between ARM and Intel is probably not going to make or break the Id.  If we can prove the concept on Intel, we can move to ARM later.
Interesting:
www.ecs.com.tw/LIVA/feature.html
With this concept it's a lot easier to claim portability given that it can be run off a battery pack without plugging into A.C. Wonder how long it will run on a "reasonable" sized battery?

Good to see more options in this area. If the hardware is so cheap, looks like the right place to be is in software.

How about something based off of the Intel MinnowBoard?

There's an improvement for a reduction in $s on the way:
http://www.minnowboard.org/meet-minnowboard-max/
Great to see the options growing.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2014, 01:16:03 am »

Far worse than the "quality" of the chip, is the matter of the environment where it is sitting: If you have a DAC sitting on a PC MoBo, it is surrounded by CPU, video, Ethernet and RAM chips that are pumping out high frequency noise; it gets its power from a chopped DC converter; and it is sitting next to a fan (dare I mention fans again) that throws out a rotating chopped E/M field. In such an environment, even the best DAC chip in the world would be dead in the water...

This is a good point. For people using separate amps (at full gain), with the 64-bit volume control, may experience the poorer noise floor (usually around 80db) and not least the noise from CPU throttling and the GPU etc. At least if using analog out. Digital out/HDMI is another matter. Proper hardware choice may eliminate this (not least a proper, efficient PSU).

Anyway I think the idea with JRiver HW is great.

Best regards,
Mikkel
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up