INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MONEY, where are the professed experts ??  (Read 2131 times)

mikemcsw

• Junior Woodchuck
New MONEY, where are the professed experts ??
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:27:57 pm »

Ok, it's finally time to upgrade.  The only thing i am keeping is my speakers.  Ready for new reciever, new blu ray, DAC (maybe), STORAGE (for wav, flac, mp4, avi and any other recommended formats).

The budget,  I think a couple thousand should be sufficient, but i don't want to spend money unnecessarily without good payback.

I have read a few things, but still have questions.

The #1 priority in the system is best possible sound but with the conveniency of a pc.

My thinking is a good sound card with HDMI 2.0, an OPPO 103 (possibly a sony if the oppo won't be used for processing...even oppo themselves suggested the DAC in a denon AVR is comprable, so why not go with a SONY for 1/2 the price.

Questions:
1) Sound card recommendations...i read good things about meridan but that was 2011. (remember, i don't want to spend money unnecessarily...if a $50 sound card will work as well as a $200 sound card, then why not go with the $50 sound card.

2) does the hdmi output unprocessed by the pc?  I would prefer if it was, and just let the reciever do the processing?

3) Jitters?  Some people say hdmi causes jitters, but many people are using hdmi and are quite happy, an d even say the sound is better going from hdmi to reciever than using usb to dac to analog inputs on reciever....again, i don't want to spend money unnecessarily.

4)  I think as long as i can get good source files to an unprocessed hdmi input to a denon  avr -x2000, i would be content?

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Re: New MONEY, where are the professed experts ??
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:56:27 pm »

How much (stereo) music will you listen to through this system, and what genres ?

mikemcsw

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 01:32:22 am »

How much (stereo) music will you listen to through this system, and what genres ?

I listen to music pretty much all the time while at my desk which is just about all the time that i am not at work, sleeping, or not at home....
I listen to all genres, but mostly jazz and pop.

update though....
i already bought a blu-ray (BDP-S790) which i am quite happy with.
I think i am going to wait on HDMI 2.0 before buying a sound card or AVR....i will likely either buy a Marantz, Denon, or Pioneer AVR.
I don't think i will need an external dac...the blu-ray's sounds pretty good if i am not happy with the AVR's dac.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 04:44:12 pm »

The links in the first 2 posts of this forum entry might help form your thinking.
MEASUREMENTS: The Onkyo TX-NR1009 receiver as a HDMI/SPDIF DAC

There's a lot of "noise" out there about hdmi and jitter. You've probably reviewed various offerings from the interweb, so you're aware of the spectrum of opinions. The links that you can find via the reference above at least involves some quantitative assessment that provide some kind of reality check. Ultimately it's up to the ears of the individual.

As an aside, I read about the NAD C 390DD producing audio quality way better via USB than HDMI due to jitter or some other effect. So, I gave it a quick check over the last few days. Couldn't pick a difference through my speakers - so, my ears can't seem to pick what many others say is definitely there. Needless to say, I'm in the doubters camp on the issue of HDMI jitter (at least as far as my unit is concerned).
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Jovi1964

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 06:28:14 am »

Author,
I understand.  It can be quite confusing.  I built my HTPC last year, and upgrade most of my components.  I decided that the receiver is the heart of my system, hence I bought the Marantz AV8801.  This receiver has excellent DACs and will give you great sound.  Also, I found a huge improvement after adding Kimber cable speaker wires.  

The other challenge, because my speakers are Paradigm S6s and S2s (rear) plus subs I require good amplification otherwise I risk damaging my speakers.  I went with an Anthem amp (7 x 125)  With this out of the way I required a way to manage my digital library.  

The problem is, every time I look into building my HTPC I found that it required a couple grand.  Finally, I decided to build one.  I used an ASUS Extreme6 MB, I7 processor, GeForce GT640, modular power supply, 8 Gig Corsair memory, 120 Gig SSD for the OS (recommend using 256) and with recent upgrade 20TB of HD for data.  This required a PCI raid controller card (but I didn't setup the raid) because I maxed out the number of available drives on the MB.  There are 10 drives available with one free in the top of my case.  This also includes the blue ray drive.  To cool the system I'm using a Master Cooler.  On my last build I used a water cooler which I prefer.  

Music doesn't take too much disk space.  I have over 1,200 CDs ISO'd and losslessly ripped.  Movies, on the other hand, take ~ 25gig ea for blue ray.  

There is a lot of controversy over raid etc, but my analysis determined that spanning the disks is the most cost effective.  Raid is not true redundancy.  My original drives are WD reds, but my recent upgrade I went with the blacks.  

Next, to get the best video from the system I recently purchased the Oppo 103D.  This is truly amazing.  Now I'm running the HDMI out of my computer into the Oppo.  I don't believe the sound is any better than running the HTPC straight into the 8801, however, the picture is awesome.  I'm viewing on a Panasonic GT30 (60 inch plasma).  The only issue is that sometimes the PC and Oppo get out of sync and I have to reboot the PC to get it to recognize the sound card in the Oppo.

The system is a bit complicated, and I have too many remotes.  I have to switch the input on the Oppo when playing the computer.  This is a minor inconvenience compared with the quality gained in the video.  Hopefully I've answered your question.  I've spent many years putting this system together and now it never fails to impress.
Pages: [1]   Go Up