INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small bug  (Read 2705 times)

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Small bug
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:58:56 am »

Strange problem

When looking at music by Genre -

If I go to the Genre Menu on the left side of the menu and click on a specific genre, everything is listed correctly in Detailed view.

If I Click on Genre and then choose a specific type by double clicking on a type listed in the main pane and look at the list via details, the NAME and ARTIST are the same (that is, the name field pulls the Artist info and displays it there under NAME).

Dave

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Small bug
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 11:18:44 am »

Click the "Top 40 - 2012" section at the top and change "Group by" to Album.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:22:26 am »

that does not resolve the problem.

Did you do the steps  There is no Group by option when you are in the main window pain

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 11:26:02 am »

Sorry, I don't know why but after looking at your images I thought your issue was the fact that each artist on the album was being displayed as their own "album" rather than grouped together. (a common issue)

...It's been a long day.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 11:34:07 am »

:)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 03:27:16 pm »

I don't think I understand the bug.  Could you explain it slowly?  Pretend I'm an infant.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 03:41:30 pm »

Strange problem

When looking at music by Genre -

If I go to the Genre Menu on the left side of the menu and click on a specific genre, everything is listed correctly in Detailed view.

If I Click on Genre and then choose a specific type by double clicking on a type listed in the main pane and look at the list via details, the NAME and ARTIST are the same (that is, the name field pulls the Artist info and displays it there under NAME).

Dave

I can replicate this.

Matt, select genre in the tree view. Double-click a genre in the main pane (not tree) to open up a certain genre, and then change the list style to details. The Name field will incorrectly display the Artist details.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 03:51:07 pm »

I can replicate this.

Matt, select genre in the tree view. Double-click a genre in the main pane (not tree) to open up a certain genre, and then change the list style to details. The Name field will incorrectly display the Artist details.

Double-click where?  I'm not sure what you mean by "main pane".

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 06:46:29 pm »

That isn't a bug.  You're changing the view of the Category, not the file listing.  You can view Categories as Details too.  The Name column then shows the contents of whatever "tier" of Category you're viewing.

Don't open a Genre and change the Category pane to Details View, and you'll see what I mean.  The Name field there will show all of the Genres.  When you open one up, then it'll show Artists (or whatever category you have "underneath" Genre).

If you want to see the names of the tracks, you have to look at the File Listing (which is below the Categories and can be made visible using the bottom divider bar and via other methods).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 07:11:15 pm »

Glynor,

please look at details1.png as you will see that Name and Artist have the same information.  I have not changed any category view.

Name should be the name of the song
Artists should be the singer

dave

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 07:24:28 pm »

Name should be the name of the song
Artists should be the singer

Only when you're looking at a list of FILES.  You're not in that screenshot, you're looking at a list of ARTISTS.

That's why there's only each artist listed once.

I can tell, because of this:

When viewing Categories by Details, the Name column shows the name of the currently selected Category.  It isn't showing the [Name] field contents, that's a special column that is shown when you view Categories in Details mode.  That's so that the currently chosen Category field is always visible, no matter what Column Layout you've chosen.

And because otherwise, the "real" [Name] column wouldn't ever work right, as it would always just show [Varies] unless you only have a single track by a particular artist.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 09:55:10 am »

Only when you're looking at a list of FILES.  You're not in that screenshot, you're looking at a list of ARTISTS.

I see the difference now.

I suppose this begs the question, why is the "Name" column returning the artist field under genre view? Shouldn't it return the genre? Even better, shouldn't this column be dynamically renamed to reflect the category view it falls under?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 09:58:02 am »

I see the difference now.

I suppose this begs the question, why is the "Name" column returning the artist field under genre view? Shouldn't it return the genre? Even better, shouldn't this column be dynamically renamed to reflect the category view it falls under?

Name returns the name of the grouping.

connersw

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 10:03:13 am »

It does return Genre when you are at the Genre Category Level.  Once you start to drill down through the levels, the Value of the Field does dynamically update; however, it doesn't rename the "Name" Field.

Example using Customize View where you have your Categories set as:
Genre
Album Artist (Auto)
Description

At the first level, Name will give you the Genre.  However, once you double-click to drill down to Album Artist (Auto) level, Name now becomes Album Artist (Auto).  Drill down again, and Name becomes Description. 

It works the same way for Thumbnail Text.  I don't see this as a bug; it is doing what it is supposed to do.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 11:29:56 am »

Right. Because otherwise, if you add a category that wasn't included in your details column layout, you wouldn't be able to see the contents of the current category.

Pages: [1]   Go Up