INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: down sampled or transcoded files accessed through shared libraries?  (Read 1175 times)

Acrid Avid

• Recent member

Hello all.

I'm new to J River Media Center and trying to set it up on multiple computers.  I was hoping to set one computer as a main MC server where I do most of my library manipulation, create playlists, etc.  And then use other computers to access the media library as a shared library and not have to recreate views/playlists, etc.

At first, I thought I was headed in the right direction, but then I realized that my high res audio when accessed through one of the client computers was not playing at full resolution.  At least, the audio path was saying the input was 44.1 kHz.  And the display in the top center was reading 320 kbps.  I know the files I were playing were 96 kHz/24 bit flac files.  When I play that same file directly from my main library, and not through a shared library, it plays it as 96 khz/24 bit.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is this normal function through shared libraries--to transcode or down sample the files?

I am coming from iTunes, where I was able to keep a mac mini with an iTunes library with apple lossless files, and other computers had libraries with mp3s.  If I ever wanted to listen to the apple lossless files, I would just select the shared library that held the apple lossless files, and play them from that shared library.  I'm hoping MC has similar functionality, and I'm just missing something.

Any help or guidance is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: down sampled or transcoded files accessed through shared libraries?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 08:59:39 pm »

You can set conversion (or not) on the client, when you connect.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 09:15:15 pm »

I think the setting you are looking for is:

Tools > Options > Media Network > Client Options > Audio Conversion: Don't convert audio. (or Convert if necessary)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:18:57 pm »

I think the setting you are looking for is:

Tools > Options > Media Network > Client Options > Audio Conversion: Don't convert audio. (or Convert if necessary)
Yep. Well said.

Wiki entry here for reference:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

Plus the pic from that thread to paint 1000 words:
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Acrid Avid

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 02:34:13 am »

This is great news.  Thanks for the quick and detailed reply.  It seems like MC has it all, or at least most of what I need--I just need the time to tinker with it and learn the nuances. 

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up