INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wasapi with "as input" bitdepth output.  (Read 2032 times)

varenx

• Recent member
Wasapi with "as input" bitdepth output.
« on: March 05, 2014, 09:13:16 am »

Could you please make available an option to have the same bithdept as the input ? Some old dac don't like to have 32 bit words and can
sometimes loose connection. It shouldnt be any problem nor hard to do.
tank you
vincenzo

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Wasapi with "as input" bitdepth output.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 09:16:48 am »

If your DAC doesn't like 32-bit input, then configure WASAPI to 16 or 24-bit?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

varenx

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 09:27:06 am »

So every time I switch to use a song 24 or 16 I have to change options ... I don't think so ... sorry

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 11:37:02 am »

So every time I switch to use a song 24 or 16 I have to change options ... I don't think so ... sorry

The point here is to set the options to fit your DAC.  That doesn't require you to change the setting for music with different bit depths.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 03:08:08 pm »

Audio should always be output at the maximum bit-depth that your hardware supports, which is what the Automatic setting will do.

If automatic is outputting 32-bit and your hardware cannot handle it, set it to 24-bit or 16-bit as required.

varenx

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 04:12:14 pm »

I' not sure  because I didn't make-up the dac but when I go from 44/16 to 96/24 I hear a relay switching so it might be that I need to have 16 bits with 44.1 and 24 with others. But besides why not having this option ... Is it just a principle problem?
V.

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 06:03:39 pm »

I' not sure  because I didn't make-up the dac but when I go from 44/16 to 96/24 I hear a relay switching so it might be that I need to have 16 bits with 44.1 and 24 with others. But besides why not having this option ... Is it just a principle problem?
V.

I've never heard of a DAC that supports 24 bit at 96khz but not at 44.1khz. You will hear a "relay switch" because of the difference in sampling rate, doesn't have to do with the bit depth.

Bit depth is different from sampling rate in that it isn't necessarily "ideal" to match the bit depth of the source content, as long as it is equal or higher. If your source is 16 bit, it will sound exactly the same regardless of whether the connection to your DAC is 16 bit or 24 bit. The only difference is that you will get ever so slightly higher quality DSP effects with a 24 bit connection vs 16.

varenx

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 03:08:23 am »

So the fact that you've never heard of such an implementation means there is none out there? Again I don't see a reason not to have a "leave the bitdepth alone"  ...  And I do se a reason to have it: because I need it and because the standard red boock is 16/44.1 all the rest might be compatible but it is not standard.
v.

varenx

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 05:22:38 pm »

So .. no more arguments .. does it mean that my request has been dropped by your company?

v.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 06:10:47 pm »

Well I don't see a reason why it would not be technically possible to have an "as input" setting for bit-depth - but having such an option would introduce a lot of usability issues.

And I do se a reason to have it: because I need it
If you need a 16-bit output, just set the output to 16-bit manually.

and because the standard red boock is 16/44.1
If your argument is that the output should be 16-bit because CD (Redbook audio) is 16/44.1, then you don't understand that it doesn't matter whether Media Center outputs 16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit etc.
As long as the output bit-depth is equal to or greater than the input bit-depth, it doesn't make a difference to playback.

However, it does make a difference when you have a playlist that mixes 16-bit and 24-bit files for example, as that will cause the DAC to switch modes, which can prevent playback from being seamless. (many DACs will have delays or pops & clicks when switching output modes)

Or if you were to play a 16-bit file at 100% volume and then reduce the volume, it would have to switch to 24-bit (or the highest supported by your DAC) which would definitely interrupt playback.

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 06:27:08 pm »

If your argument is that the output should be 16-bit because CD (Redbook audio) is 16/44.1, then you don't understand that it doesn't matter whether Media Center outputs 16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit etc.
As long as the output bit-depth is equal to or greater than the input bit-depth, it doesn't make a difference to playback.

Which I already said and he completely ignored.

Varenx. Have you even tried to play your 16/44.1 music with a 24 bit connection to your DAC? You claim it doesn't work but I don't think you've even tried. What DAC do you have anyway?

varenx

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 03:38:42 pm »

Right now I'm using a nuforce dac 3 because my mail Orpheus lab one is back for servicing.
With this little dac I need to use their asio drivers because the wasapi donět work proprly.

For example with the asio drivers for some reason when I playback 24 bit I see the output back to 16 because the devic s not able to get
the 16 bit.

I'm note all the way shure that 44.1/24 bit ( or 32 ) is just the same for each dac implementation.

v.
Pages: [1]   Go Up