INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNG RAW Images - Embedded JPEG Preview  (Read 5794 times)

chriswale

• World Citizen
DNG RAW Images - Embedded JPEG Preview
« on: March 08, 2014, 08:53:41 am »

Hi

I have a question about DNG files in JRiver Media Centre.  When I make modifications to a DNG image using Adobe Camera RAW and update the DNG JPEG preview image, the thumbnail/preview image in JRiver MC19 is not updated when I run auto-import - even though MC19 detects a change to the file.

Is there a way to have JRiver Media Centre 19 update the thumbnail/preview image of the file once changes have been detected?  Perhaps there is an option to refresh the thumbnail/cached images of the file?
Has anyone got any experience with this or ideas as to how I can get my DNG files to be updated in JRiver MC19?  I've included my workflow and screenshot examples below...

My workflow - From Camera to JRiver MC19:

CAPTURE
1) Capture photograph on my camera in RAW format (CR2).

IMPORT

2) Copy the RAW (CR2) image to computer.
3) Convert RAW (CR2) image to DNG (Adobe's Digital Negative RAW image format) - including an embedded JPEG image preview in the DNG file.
4) Import DNG RAW image file into JRiver MC 19.
5) DNG RAW image is displayed correctly in JRiver MC19 - JPEG preview image from the DNG file is used.

EDIT IMAGE

6) Open DNG RAW image in Adobe Photoshop Camera RAW - and make necessary modifications to exposure, white balance, and color.
7) Update DNG JPEG Previews in Adobe Camera RAW

TRYING TO GET IMAGE PREVIEW TO UPDATE IN JRiver MC19

8) Try to update DNG thumbnail/image preview by running Auto Import in JRiver MC19 > but DNG image modification and preview does not update in JR MC19 (old preview is still displayed).
9) Try to update DNG thumbnail/image preview by removing the DNG image from JRiver MC19 and re-importing the file > but the DNG image preview does not update in JR MC19 (old preview is still displayed).

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!  I would like to work out how to have my DNG images update in JR MC19 to reflect any changes that are made to the files (especially if the JPEG preview images are updated)

I would also like to mention that I found that if I create a duplicate of the modified DNG file - and then import the duplicated DNG file into JR MC19, the updated JPEG image preview is correctly displayed in JR MC19 for the duplicated file but not for the original DNG file.

- Chris

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DNG RAW Images - Embedded JPEG Preview
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:34:30 am »

Please follow up in your older thread, here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87885.0

I'll close this one to avoid a split discussion.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up