INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using DLNA for kids view?  (Read 3062 times)

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
Using DLNA for kids view?
« on: April 15, 2014, 04:20:38 pm »

I have a suspicion what I'm trying to do can be done easier.

I have a JRiver MC 19 server set up with all my media that I server to other computers running JRiver using the access key.  I want to share only a subset of that media to my kids new computer (excluding some movies and music that isn't appropriate).

The route I was going was to set up a new DLNA server, and then in the DLNA menu options using the view rules to only share the media I want to share.

Problem is, I go over to my kids computer and the JRiver I just installed on it cannot seem to "see" the new DLNA server I set up in the other room.  I've restarted both computers but I still don't see the new DLNA as an option alongside the main library.

Is there an easier way to do this?  Like maybe connect to the main library using the standard access key, but then set some sort of password protected global filters on the views on my kids computer?  Please let me know.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using DLNA for kids view?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:09:55 pm »

Isn't this sort of situation one of the reasons why user accounts were instigated?

I've not used them yet but that's where I'd have a look.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:06:40 pm »

i'd be cautious...unless second from last post has been addressed elsewhere http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82733.50

and a question/major concern
1. if server has a user loaded, why do all clients switch to that user? shouldn't clients either after an amount of inactivity auto log off, OR at the very least stay connected to the Library/user it originally connected with...how i knew something was wrong with my library was actually on a client, (on that client most of my files were gone). REASON BEING... as mentioned i had changed server to blah blah with just 22,349 files... My MAJOR concern what if some of us have adult files in the main library (administrator) and we want to watch/view all our files as adults. the way it sits now... we have to walk to server, change user to administrator (or adult users) and then all clients will have that library/user loaded, meaning when the kids go to their devices being it auto loads new users, the kids are seeing are filthy stinking pron (files inappropriate for children (R, NC-17 etc)!

I'm glad i found this out on a day/week my son is at his mothers. As it sits now it seems as if this isnt fully implemented...I'm now removing users completely until verification this has been worked out/changed...
Perhaps others should be made aware of this (maybe an edit on post 1) as to prevent some potentially big mistakes/fights (wife" why are these files available for bobby, i came home from work, and he was watching Basic Instinct's Sharon Stone interrogation scene on repeat!?"
  We've yet to test it again... maybe others have?

csimon

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 06:40:15 am »

Problem is, I go over to my kids computer and the JRiver I just installed on it cannot seem to "see" the new DLNA server I set up in the other room.  I've restarted both computers but I still don't see the new DLNA as an option alongside the main library.

Some basic questions: have you enabled Media Network on the new installation? Can you see the original DLNA server on the new installation?

You could also achieve this with separate libraries, but as with the DLNA server there is nothing to prevent the client from simply switching libraries.

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 02:58:13 pm »

Some good ideas.  My kids are 8 and 6 and not very computer literate, so at this point I'm not concerned about them being terribly clever at getting around safeguards I've set up.

Upon thinking about it, I think just setting up a new local library on their computer, which would catalog media stored on the server using UNC addresses should be a good solution.  I can use windows workgroup permissions to only let them have read access to the media I want them to see, and then turn off their media network so they can't see other zones and libraries.

I suppose it would be cool if JRiver had "Admin" user role and "standard" user role that wouldn't allow changes to settings.  That doesn't seem to be what party mode does, per the wiki article.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 06:26:18 pm »

Isn't this sort of situation one of the reasons why user accounts were instigated?

I've not used them yet but that's where I'd have a look.

This is what I was talking about:
User Account Setup on the Wiki

Enjoy the Easter read..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up