INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: play lists file location  (Read 1369 times)

jvandeven

• Recent member
play lists file location
« on: March 30, 2014, 08:05:53 pm »

I am trialing JRiver at the moment, and am having some difficulty setting my system up.  The problem is that I like to store all of my media files on a portable HD, which I transport between the office and home.  Importantly, I would like to store my playlist files, on the portable HD as well, so that any changes that I make to the play lists at the office transfer seamlessly to my home system and vice versa.  Is this possible with MC?

Many thanks...

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: play lists file location
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 10:39:42 pm »

MC stores its playlists inside the Library.  You can export those via File > Export Playlists (of course Smartlist contents can vary).  But these won't be automatically imported on other MC systems.

You can probably store your MC Library on the portable drive, so long as it and the music are in their own folder trees.  That way, you have your Library and media with you all the time.  Just open the Library whenever you get to work or home.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jvandeven

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:24:06 am »

"You can probably store your MC Library on the portable drive, so long as it and the music are in their own folder trees.  That way, you have your Library and media with you all the time.  Just open the Library whenever you get to work or home"

This is what I would like to do (store my MC library on the portable drive), but I am not sure how to get MC to look for the library when it loads.  Do you know if this is this possible?

stiv32

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:43:57 am »

I can propose another way of achieving what you need.

You could make a portable installation of MC in your drive and put shortcuts of MC at your PCs. In that way wherever you go, at which ever pc you attach your portable drive, you will have MC with you.

jvandeven

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 05:54:25 pm »

I can propose another way of achieving what you need.

You could make a portable installation of MC in your drive and put shortcuts of MC at your PCs. In that way wherever you go, at which ever pc you attach your portable drive, you will have MC with you.

The problem with this approach is that different computers have different specs (my home set-up allows use of WASAPI, but my office computer only allows Direct Sound).  This is a bit annoying, as most other MCs allow you to define where you store your playlists...

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 06:25:25 pm »

You can start MC using the /Library command line option to select a library.  I believe it will also try to open the last-used library by default.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jvandeven

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 06:51:10 pm »

I am only just getting on top of how MC works - the option to allow for alternative libraries is excellent, and saving my library onto a portable harddrive is all that was required to transfer everything that I need seemlessly from home to the office.  Many thanks for the pointers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up