INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Albums with Duplicate Tracks  (Read 1342 times)

dgamlen

• Recent member
Multiple Albums with Duplicate Tracks
« on: February 20, 2014, 03:41:18 pm »

Couldn't find an answer through search...

I imported my library a few weeks ago and everything has been working fine.  I now have several albums missing and several albums with all of the tracks duplicated.  Can someone please educate me on a)what may have caused this, and b)how to fix the duplicate tracks?

Thanks,
Duncan

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Multiple Albums with Duplicate Tracks
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:43:49 pm »

Howdy,

New folks often think tracks are "missing", when in fact, they are just in some category or grouping than what they were expecting.  This happens when the file's tags are not so accurate.  For a file that you think is missing, try using the Search box (upper right) and type in some unique part of the file's path to see if it shows up.

If that doesn't work, create a Smartlist, press the Import / Export button, and enter exactly:

~d=b

and see if the files are listed there.

For the duplicated tracks, pick one set of duplicates, and report back the Filename values as MC sees them.  Look in the file list's Filename column.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 02:42:48 am »

Are the files on a NAS? Auto-import on? Is it only audio files or video?

dgamlen

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 03:31:43 pm »

Hey Mr C,

I was not missing individual tracks but whole albums.  I attempted to search for them and nothing came up at all.  Today one of them is appearing, but Neil Young Live at the Massey is just gone.  It is not a problem to import again...just want to make sure I am not doing something wrong.

With regard to the duplicate tracks I just noticed that all of them are recently played albums.  One of them is a CD that I ripped and then converted to WAV.  All the tracks from the CD are duplicated - one with and .ape extension and the other with a .wav  Is there something I need to do to end up with only the WAV files or at least separate them into two "different" album versions after conversion.

The tracks in all the other recently played albums are all duplicated 320 mp3?

Thank you so much.

dgamlen

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 03:34:52 pm »

Thank you, HiFi Tubes.  No, I am not using a NAS.  They are on a hard drive and auto import is on.  Only recently played audio files as stated in my reply to Mr C.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 03:41:15 pm »

It is difficult to diagnose the problem without addressing the questions asked.

Don't focus on the missing albums abstraction - MC is individual file based, so if we can find one of the files, the others will probably reveal themselves.  Did you create the Smartlist I suggested?  If so, are you saying you could not find any of the files you feel are missing using the method I suggested?

Regarding the "duplicates" concept - it sounds like you have both WAV and an compressed version.  In what program did you rip these files?  If you have both the WAV and compressed versions, of course MC will pick both files up.  These are not duplicate files - rather, they are two different files, each containing the song, but in different compression modes.

dgamlen

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 04:25:22 pm »

No, I did not create a Smartlist, because after searching again I was able to find the "missing" albums except for one.  I cannot see it on the hard drive so I don't think this is an issue with MC - most likely operator error - darn that guy.

I ripped the CD from within MC and then converted to WAV.  Is there a way to organize the WAV and APE files separately?  Right now when I go to play it will play both files in different compression modes successively.

In the future can I rip a CD then convert it and only keep one version?

MrC

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 04:34:35 pm »

I'm not sure why you are ripping to some other format and then converting to WAV.   If you want WAV, just rip to WAV.  Later you can convert to other formats if you want.  Most would agree that there is no benefit to WAV over FLAC or OGG, and you lose the flexibility of standard tagging w/WAV.

You can separate your files in many ways, but the easiest would be via MC's view system and filtering.  You can create views to show only one format or the other, or to allow you to select one set or the other or both.  The choice will depend on how typically work with the files.

dgamlen

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 06:19:36 pm »

This was my first rip and I did not see the option to go directly to a particular format.  Based on your comments I will use FLAC in the future.  I will study the view system and filtering tonight and apply it.  Thank you, Mr C.

David Saari

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 10:40:49 pm »

...there is a way to delete duplicate files automatically, but I can't find it anymore :-X.
I have a problem with the musicians guild trying to botch my music collection. I have over 15000 songs and the bands don't like that. My music is played for and no one has the right to botch my files with duplicates.                   
  My revenge is in the re-incarnation of the inventor of the acoustic guitar, man, if he was here to witness the greed, he'd be slaughtering these stadium bands left, right and centre
Pages: [1]   Go Up