INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wakes the monitor up!  (Read 1368 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Wakes the monitor up!
« on: March 18, 2014, 01:33:55 pm »

I'm not sure if this is related to the current 'sleep' issue being discussed, but...

If I switch my monitor off using the power switch, it also powers down the integrated USB hub, which is undesirable for me.
To get around this, I use the nifty 'Wizmo' app from Steve Gibson to turn off the monitor. It works a treat.

Recently, within five minutes of being switched off this way, it's back on.

I have narrowed this down to having MC server running, with or without the main UI, behaviour is the same. Close MC and server, turn off the monitor, and it stays off until the keyboard is pressed or mouse moved.

Why would it do that?

-marko.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Wakes the monitor up!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 01:36:03 pm »

If you can replicate it reliably, just after the screen turned back on, go into a command prompt and run "powercfg -lastwake", and tell us what it says?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 01:55:18 pm »

It returns with "Wake History Count - 0"

If I bring the monitor back by pressing a key on the keyboard, it returns the same.

-marko

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 01:56:16 pm »

Note that the PC itself remains up, the aim here is just to turn off the display...

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 02:07:19 pm »

Too bad, I thought it might record this as well.
Oh well, guess I'll have to try.

Does it just wake on its own, or do you interact with MC in any way, over remote client/Gizmo/...?
Is it playing Audio at the time? Does it wake on track change?

Anything?  ;D
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 02:18:38 pm »

Nope. All that's required is for MC server, and or MC UI to be running.

No audio playing, no client connected, just the server running.

Wizmo, https://www.grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm , turns of the monitor using "wizmo.exe -quiet -monoff"
It then stays off until a key is pressed, or at least should do, and did do. Now, if server is running, in less than five minutes the monitor switches back on.

-marko.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 06:53:34 pm »

Release Notes MC19
19.0.82 (11/25/2013)
 1. NEW: Help > System Info reports anything that changes the system power state in a new 'Power' section (preventing sleep, keeping the monitor on, etc.).
 2. Fixed: The monitor would not correctly be allowed to turn off in some cases in the last few builds.

That should show what MC is doing to wake the monitor/TV. My HTPC has lots of entries in there about keeping the monitor on. I would assume that the server checks if there is anything to do every five minutes, and turns the monitor on when it does this.

I always thought there was a setting like. "Keep monitor on while playing video", but I can't find a reference to that at the moment. It all seems to be intrinsic to the software now, or always was.  :)

EDIT: I believe I was thinking of the setting under Options > Audio > Settings "Disable display from turning off (useful for HDMI audio)".  Not useful for this issue though.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 07:26:40 pm »

Thanks.
I'm trialling an alternative method here using nircmd at the moment. Initial results appear to be positive....
Pages: [1]   Go Up