INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audigy and 24 bit sound  (Read 781 times)

Dreamssoft

Audigy and 24 bit sound
« on: February 19, 2002, 06:13:45 pm »

i just installed the sound blaster audigy card and it wont play back at 24 bit in  MJB... any solutions? the exact error is

"make sure that your system is using a valid sound playback device and that is is properly configured in media jukeboxes playback options.

Michael Horton

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:Audigy and 24 bit sound
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2002, 06:28:27 pm »

it's because the new creative lab sound cards are not really 24 bit (I've read that on a couple of sites that reviewed the board anyway)

Severian

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2002, 07:45:57 pm »

Hey, glad you posted, I wanted to ask about that card. That's one of the ones that advertises that it's got some hyper-encoding MP3 acceleration, right? Like 9x or something? How does that work for you?

ajfaull

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2002, 07:30:13 am »

Creative does claim that both the Audigy and the Extigy are capable of 24 Bit playback, however I have not found any software that will playback at that bit depth on these products.

However unless you are doing live mixing, 24 Bit playback will not significantly enhance sound unless your source is recorded at 24 bit depth, somthing neither the Audigy, or Extigy is capable of doing.  Both cards are still locked at 16Bit/48KHz for recording.  To record in 24 Bit you would need a Pro/Near Pro card such as the M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Echo Mia, or Terratec DMX 6Fire.  

Unfortunatly, with the exception of the 6Fire, most (near)Pro cards are not very good at games and are generaly stereo only.  Since the 6Fire was not available when I put together my system, I had to buy both an Audiophile 2496 and the Audigy for playing games, MP3s, DVDs etc.

AS for any "Enhanced MP3 encoding", I would think that that is a function of the software encodeing, not general consumer based hardware.  However, I could be wrong; I don't ever encode MP3s (too lossy).  I instead encode all my music (and recorded vinyl) to APE format using MAC(Monkey's Audio Compresser).

Severian

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2002, 07:37:39 am »

No, ajfaull, you can bring hardware into the equation to increase speed for certain applications. You mentioned games--try running a 3D one without the added acceleration and processing offload that DirectX gets from your video card, you'll see what I mean. If Creative's encoder alone was so quick, everybody would be doing it. I'm curious to know if their chip accelerates their encoder alone, or what the deal is. And how MJ works with that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up