Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: STBs  (Read 1171 times)

ldoodle

• Galactic Citizen
STBs
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:03:01 am »

Is one of the new versions, it says you can use multiple STBs. Which I guess means you can use MC to watch stuff through an STB, like you can with the XBox One.

Take something like Sky+ HD in the UK. How would it work for On Demand stuff? Series Links, etc. etc.? Does it literally just pass the signal, which would require an HDMI input on the PC?

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
Re: STBs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:20:16 am »

I am not familiar with Sky+ HD, but typically you do need some type of capture card to bring the HD signal into the computer.  I use the Hauppauge Colossus to capture HDMI input from DirecTV here in the US.  If you want to use multiple STB, then you need multiple input devices.  I know there are some other external boxes available that MC supports as well.

Alex

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: STBs
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:18:21 am »

Is one of the new versions, it says you can use multiple STBs. Which I guess means you can use MC to watch stuff through an STB, like you can with the XBox One.

Take something like Sky+ HD in the UK. How would it work for On Demand stuff? Series Links, etc. etc.? Does it literally just pass the signal, which would require an HDMI input on the PC?

As Alex said, you need a capture device that will take the signal from your Sky+ HD box.  If your STB has HDMI output only, you will need a capture device that has an HDMI input.  Otherwise, you can use Composite, or SVideo etc.

You will need an MCE  remote control with IR blaster that will send channel-changing commands to your STB.

MC will run the capture device for showing or recording programs.  It will also send IR signal to STB to change channels. 

MC does not directly deal with On Demand.  In other words, MC can only let you tune to the On Demand channel, but you will need to use the remote control of the STB to make your On Demand choices.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up